MJMillard-51050
Level 4: Private Eye

Why is Telstra assigning US-DOD owned IPv4 addresses to Wireless Broadband users?

Answered

Telstra has assigned my Netgear Nighthawk M1/M2 routers IPv4 addresses 22.151.71.247 and 22.151.99.7 on several occasions. These IPv4 addresses are not owned by Telstra but by US DoD Network Information Center (DNIC). Whilst these are public IPv4 addresses they have little use as tcp80(http), tcp443(https), udp53(dns), udp123(ntp), udp137(ns) and udp5060(sip) are all closed. Further, from the net, my IPv4 address is shown to be 1.124.109.11, part of Telstra's Wireless Broadband that uses CG-NAT. What is Telstra up to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Why is Telstra assigning US-DOD owned IPv4 addresses to Wireless Broadband users?

Thanks for sharing your investigations and I agree with your observations about Telstra using CG-NAT on mobile Broadband modems ; Optus does the same. That site has some interesting information - the screen shows the address as in inactive service, so maybe a ceased record.

We don't realise the sheer amount of data that is collated without our knowledge. I recently saw a YouTube clip which shows how Google take the Wi-Fi SSID of every Internet connected modem whenever you do a search on their browser. Google take that information and they and another company map it for public view - you can search for a location on the map and zoom into a dot which represents a home or building to see the SSID - I don't think we signed up for that.

I think by now all Telstra mobile phones are Single Stack IPv6 - if you open up Safari or other web browser on a mobile phone and simply type the words, 'what is my ip' - the first response from Google will be your phone's IP address. Another collection item for Google to add to their database on us - thankfully with IPv6, it is one of the phone's randomly generated aliases and not the device's real IPv6 address which is never exposed to the public, but still its a personal record that will be stored by Google.

For Telstra Mobile Broadband Modems, I think they will remain CG-NAT Dual Stacked IPv4/IPv6 for some time given the core networks incorporate IPv4 infrastructure. The global transition to IPV6 is tracking at a snail's pace - apart from mobile phones, after all these years, I think the rate is still under 20%. I understand that Telstra's new Home Broadband 5G modem is using CG-NAT during the trial period and may be changed later on. Some Australian RSPs have also been forced to employ CG-NAT for their land based Broadband NBN customers due to shortage of IPv4 addresses.  Frustrating for some customers who wish to use more advanced features such as hosting Servers, Smart Home Devices and Remote Access.  

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Mkrtich

Re: Why is Telstra assigning US-DOD owned IPv4 addresses to Wireless Broadband users?

Hi - would you clarify a few things - maybe just a terminology issue, but are you using the Telstra Mobile Broadband service  - I don't know if Telstra previously had a Fixed Wireless System in place before the current Telstra NBN Fixed Wireless which uses a different network.

Please confirm if the M1/M2 is showing the IPv4 WAN address which is using CG-NAT as 1.124.109.11 and the Nighthawks default IP address is a 192.168.0.1/24 range. Where are you seeing the US DNIC IP addresses in your screens ? Would you post a picture of the relevant page without any personal information showing. Are you using any VPN service that is linked to or hosted in the USA from your PCs?

MJMillard-51050

The IPv4 WAN address which is using CG-NAT is 1.124.109.11, as shown by Whatsmyipaddress. The IPv4 address assigned to my M2 router by Telstra is 22.151.99.7, which is owned by US DNIC on behalf of US-DOD, as shown by a Whois Search. See below;-

MJMillard-51050

dnslytics shows more information on 22.151.99.7, including port closures.

Mkrtich

That is interesting - the DNIC has the whole 22.0.0.0/8 Block per Wikipedia and if this URL is factual, it appears that the DoD has sold some of it's IPv4 Addresses - perhaps Telstra has purchased a bundle of those that were on sale from within that Block. 

https://ipv4.global/u-s-department-of-defense-ipv4-address-space/ 

@ProfessorPhone  - are you seeing the same IPv4 Address in your M2 - I note that it is Dual Stacked.  

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Can you explain to me please where to find it.   Modems are not my area of expertise. Thanks

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Mkrtich wrote:

That is interesting - the DNIC has the whole 22.0.0.0/8 Block per Wikipedia and if this URL is factual, it appears that the DoD has sold some of it's IPv4 Addresses - perhaps Telstra has purchased a bundle of those that were on sale from within that Block. 

That does sound logical, especially with IPv4 addresses running out.

*Also making a post here so I can follow what is happening. I love these head-scratcher posts :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
MJMillard-51050

Unfortunately, Whois Search - Domain Name Search | Whois lookup | Availability Checker (whois-search.com)

says that ownership is still with US DNIC.

This domain is registered with American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/tou/
#
# If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
# https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/inaccuracy_reporting/
#
# Copyright 1997-2021, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.
#

NetRange:       22.0.0.0 - 22.255.255.255
CIDR:           22.0.0.0/8
NetName:        DNIC-SNET-022
NetHandle:      NET-22-0-0-0-1
Parent:          ()
NetType:        Direct Allocation
OriginAS:       
Organization:   DoD Network Information Center (DNIC)
RegDate:        1989-06-26
Updated:        2009-04-15
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/22.0.0.0

OrgName:        DoD Network Information Center
OrgId:          DNIC
Address:        3990 E. Broad Street
City:           Columbus
StateProv:      OH
PostalCode:     43218
RegDate:        
Updated:        2011-08-17
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/DNIC

OrgAbuseHandle: REGIS10-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Registration
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-844-347-2457 
OrgAbuseEmail:  disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-registrations@mail.mil
OrgAbuseRef:    https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/REGIS10-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: REGIS10-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Registration
OrgTechPhone:  +1-844-347-2457 
OrgTechEmail:  disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-registrations@mail.mil
OrgTechRef:    https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/REGIS10-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: MIL-HSTMST-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Network DoD
OrgTechPhone:  +1-844-347-2457 
OrgTechEmail:  disa.columbus.ns.mbx.hostmaster-dod-nic@mail.mil
OrgTechRef:    https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/MIL-HSTMST-ARIN

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/tou/
#
# If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
# https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/inaccuracy_reporting/
#
# Copyright 1997-2021, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.
#

Mkrtich

That's interesting - will have a good read and some more research. It may be that this database record has not been updated to reflect current times. The date stamp for the record shows

Updated:        2011-08-17

ProfessorPhone has confirmed to me that his M2 IPv4 WAN is connected to 22.162.xx.xxx.

MJMillard-51050

An IP Lookup on whatismyipaddress.com shows the following;-

I think that it is possible that Telstra is augmenting its private IP addresses used in CG-Nat with public IP addresses. These 22.151.x.x clearly don't work as a public IPv4 address should. In short, Telstra is still refusing to assign public IPv4 addresses to home wireless broadband users.

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Thanks for sharing your investigations and I agree with your observations about Telstra using CG-NAT on mobile Broadband modems ; Optus does the same. That site has some interesting information - the screen shows the address as in inactive service, so maybe a ceased record.

We don't realise the sheer amount of data that is collated without our knowledge. I recently saw a YouTube clip which shows how Google take the Wi-Fi SSID of every Internet connected modem whenever you do a search on their browser. Google take that information and they and another company map it for public view - you can search for a location on the map and zoom into a dot which represents a home or building to see the SSID - I don't think we signed up for that.

I think by now all Telstra mobile phones are Single Stack IPv6 - if you open up Safari or other web browser on a mobile phone and simply type the words, 'what is my ip' - the first response from Google will be your phone's IP address. Another collection item for Google to add to their database on us - thankfully with IPv6, it is one of the phone's randomly generated aliases and not the device's real IPv6 address which is never exposed to the public, but still its a personal record that will be stored by Google.

For Telstra Mobile Broadband Modems, I think they will remain CG-NAT Dual Stacked IPv4/IPv6 for some time given the core networks incorporate IPv4 infrastructure. The global transition to IPV6 is tracking at a snail's pace - apart from mobile phones, after all these years, I think the rate is still under 20%. I understand that Telstra's new Home Broadband 5G modem is using CG-NAT during the trial period and may be changed later on. Some Australian RSPs have also been forced to employ CG-NAT for their land based Broadband NBN customers due to shortage of IPv4 addresses.  Frustrating for some customers who wish to use more advanced features such as hosting Servers, Smart Home Devices and Remote Access.  

View solution in original post

MJMillard-51050

I never considered the possibility that Telstra was using CG-NAT for IPv6 addresses but you're right my IPv6 address cannot be seen from the net. There's absolutely no reason to do this.

Mkrtich

Yes, I don't think CG-NAT applies to an IPv6 world as it has no NAT function - devices connect peer to peer and this is why aliases are used for client protection. I think it is a case of the IPv6 WAN address is not being used at all but is assigned by the M2. I am on the low end of the learning curve with IPv6 and haven't come to grips with the advantage of having a Dual Stack IPv4 and IPv6  function for Mobile Broadband modems - devices have been dual stacked for more than 10 years- I think it is in preparation for the future and it is just shown but not active.

I think IPv6 is not used for incoming connections at all on Mobile Broadband modems when CG-NAT is employed - if the M2 has no dormant IPv6 Network Prefix feature for future incoming connections, the IPv6 address shown in the M2 may be an alias generated by the M2. I don't know if the M2 has an IPv6 DHCP Server for its LAN clients or if clients generate it themselves - there are two methods.

I assume if a device ever needed to connect to a web site that used a different protocol for outgoing connections, the modem or Telstra's network, depending on circumstances,  there would be a conversion and encapsulation of respective IP signalling types throughout the connection journey into the web. I have watched some good YouTube clips on this topic last year, but it was a bit beyond me at the time and not sure if it is done by Australian Telcos.

With the Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modems, the 4G BackUp defaults to IPv6 for outgoing connections and they have a DHCP IPv6 Server as well. If people have connection issues with some web sites when in BackUp mode, it is possible to set the 4G BackUp to a dual IPv4/IPv6 setting thereby allowing outgoing IPv4 connections to web sites that are limited to IPv4 operation.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit