Level 3: Gumshoe

Why upload speed on Velocity still capped at 5Mbps after almost 10 years ?

I live in a velocity serviced area, while my download speeds (with speed boost) are relatively fine at 100Mbps (but still less than NBN speeds during peak hours), the upload capped at 5Mbps is severely limiting what I can do with my connection. Especially now, when we are forced to work from home. The 5Mbps upload limit is barely enough for two people to efficiently work from home (e.g: video calls, sending large email attachments, uploading large files etc..), so why hasn’t Telstra changed the 5Mbps upload speed in almost 10 years ? I don’t mind paying a little extra for better upload speeds, but the problem is I’m not even given the option. Why?

I’m not affiliated with Telstra, just another Telstra customer lurking the forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why upload speed on Velocity still capped at 5Mbps after almost 10 years ?

The 5Mbps upload speed is actually a fairly new development for a lot of Velocity estates as the exchanges needed to be upgraded to serve that capability.

From what was being said around the extension for the deadline to selling off or upgrading Velocity services last week, it looks like it will be mid-2021 before the next round of upgrades occurs (although technically, that only needs to bring all Velocity estates up to NBN25 capability, which you already have).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

It may be a new development for some, but not all. Here is a link to a news article from 2012 (https://www.comparebroadband.com.au/broadband-articles/internode-news-id24/internode-gets-access-to-...) which mentions the 100/5 speed option. I believe some Velocity estates, at least the very first one in point cook ?? had 100/5 from its inception back in 2010.

In any case, IMO 5Mbps in 2020 is abysmal. Telstra had a head start with fibre, but why are they falling so far behind NBN now?

I’m not affiliated with Telstra, just another Telstra customer lurking the forum.

They are falling behind because of the NBN. The introduction of the NBN basically killed of investment in fixed line broadband in Australia by anyone other than NBN Co.

The plan was that NBN Co would take over nearly all the fixed line broadband infrastructure in Australia (including Velocity), but they are delaying taking over the Velocity estates as it is a lot of work for them to upgrade them to NBN standard.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

I’m not a networking professional, so I don’t quite understand how it is all structured. But I thought the most expensive part of the NBN upgrade is getting the last mile upgraded. Whereas Velocity estates already have a FTTP network capable of delivering NBN 100 speeds, doesn’t that mean the hardest part is already done?

Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Jupiter wrote:

They are falling behind because of the NBN. The introduction of the NBN basically killed of investment in fixed line broadband in Australia by anyone other than NBN Co.

OptiComm, OPENetworks, LBNCo, RedTrain seem to be doing fine.... some providing gigabit speeds, and all have always had faster upload speeds than Telstra Velocity. Biggest reason why NBN had to come was because Telstra weren't doing anything. Brownfields would still be stuck on ADSL2+. And even then ADSL2+ was only a thing because competitors were allowed (enforced by the regulators) to add DSLAMs into Telstra Exchanges, else we'd still be on ADSL1 for much longer.

Velocity Estates are a 100% Telstra Captive market. No one (private) is going to come in an overbuild as Telstra could literally change a setting (and maybe some extra backhaul for some estates) and beat them with faster speeds and match pricing (Optus learnt that with HFC). Telstra Velocity is just GPON like all the other residential fibre networks, and just configured the way it is for what ever reason.

It's just Telstra doing what Telstra does best. Milk as much money out of something with minimal effort before getting fined, or losing out to competition.

Uploads are more bursty than downloads too, so backhaul shouldn't be as much of an issue. Would be nice if Telstra would just increase the upload speeds and satisfy the people (like me) who need the faster upload, while they get their stuff sorted (probably wont). After the current extension to the exemption runs out, they will ask for another one, guaranteed, because they'll get away with it. NBN can probably over build it for cheaper then the price Telstra is willing to sell Velocity for.

@awulf wrote:

Biggest reason why NBN had to come was because Telstra weren't doing anything.

Not quite true. Telstra had submitted plans to the Government to upgrade the entire country to  FTTC. The Government rejected the proposal and instead formed NBN Co. If the Telstra proposal had been implemented, the upgrades would have been finished by 2018.

Level 21: Augmented

Yes, the government at the time had 'the inventor of the Internet" as a minister..  so he knew better (about spending money)..  Smiley LOL

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Not quite true. Telstra had submitted plans to the Government to upgrade the entire country to  FTTC. The Government rejected the proposal and instead formed NBN Co. If the Telstra proposal had been implemented, the upgrades would have been finished by 2018.

Anyone can submit a proposal, what matters is whether they can follow through. Look how poorly Telstra is managing their very own fibre network. Up until recently Velocity was plagued with congestion issues, even right now their homepage advertises “you’ll enjoy typical minimum speeds of 10Mbps between 7pm and 11pm."(https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/velocity) which IMO is laughable for a FTTP network.

From where I stand, NBN (FTTC, FTTP, and HFC) is looking a lot better than Telstra’s FTTP Velocity network, if they can’t even get their own smaller FTTP networks done right, what makes you think they can upgrade the entire country to FTTC better than NBN? As they say, proof is in the pudding.

The point is that they weren't even allowed to proceed with it.

@Jupiter wrote:

@awulf wrote:

Biggest reason why NBN had to come was because Telstra weren't doing anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But FTTC wasn't a technology that existed back then. What I do remember (but can't find solid references), is that Telstra was going to build FTTN but not allow competition on it, and wanted the government to heavily subsidise it. The Government didn't agree to this. This also was the Liberal government before Labor and NBN came in a year later with the NBN plan (cause Telstra weren't doing anything).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-08-07/telstra-scraps-broadband-network-plan/1232816

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-perplexed-by-telstra-decision-on-fibre-to-the-node-invest...

https://whirlpool.net.au/img/article/1642/FTTN_working_paper.pdf

Rudd's government would have been aware of the proposal from Telstra as it was (and still is as far as I'm aware) a publicly available document. FTTC was possible back in 2006 and was cutting edge tech at the time. The VDSL2 standard (which is what is used from the street to the house)( was proposed in May 2005 and approved in February 2006 (200/100Mbps max).

From the linked PDF:

> Unlike the existing copper network, the FTTN network cannot be unbundled. This means that Telstra will face only weak resale competition, rather than the more intense competition emerging and growing that is based on unbundled services over Telstra’s copper. This is a key reason why Telstra wants to introduce FTTN.

So, Jupiter, I gather that your in a nutshell version is that if only the government had allowed the above in 2006, then on a completely unrelated FTTH network in 2020 we'd be getting upload speeds of faster than 1 Mbps (or 5 Mbps for a lucky few).

That's a very, very, veeeeeeeeeery long walk.

@JupiterI can already hear you repeating what you said in the past:

> Why are you paying twice what an FTTN plan costs? The plan costs are based on speed and included download volumes. They aren't based on technology type.

Belong, a Telstra owned ISP, offers on the NBN a plan for $55. It is unlimited and has an upload speed of 20 Mbps.

No one on the Telstra Velocity network seems to offer any plans. On the off-chance you can get onto Telstra somehow, it's either $109 or $119 for an unlimited plan on Velocity, with an upload speed of 5 Mbps.

The same provider is extorting customers for hundreds of dollars by year by taking advantage of a monopoly situation while providing a worse product. How you are able to claim that giving the same provider control of telecommunications infrastructure over a whole continent is in any way beneficial stands at odds with it either any or all of not providing a product, providing a product that is much more expensive or providing a product that is much worse even when you'd pay twice as much.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit