Level 1: Cadet

WI FI dropping out.

Answered

Hi, I am at the end of my patience with Telstra after 20 odd years. I am now on my third modem since having the NBN, and now my wi fi keeps disconnecting several times a day, at any time, and it won't even connect in the bedroom which has always been fine before.

I have tried ringing the 132200 line, but when it asks if I want to use messaging, and I say "no", it hangs up on me (5 times now). Not all pensioners have mobile phones you know, and some, like me, only need it for receiving calls. I have been very patient over past issues but not now. Last chance Telstra. Thanks,

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: WI FI dropping out.

Hi - when your Wi-Fi drops out, do any LAN connected PCs also have issues or can they continue to access the Internet? What is the modem model number and firmware version shown on the home page of the log-in screen? What are the models of devices that are dropping their Wi-Fi links to the modem - to establish which devices are dropping out and if they are limited to 2.4 Ghz or support both 2.4Ghz/5GHz bands? 

If your modem only displays one common Telstra Wi-Fi Broadcast name, you could open up a web browser and type 192.168.0.1 to enter the Admin screens and after admin and password entry,  try to Disable the Band Steering function on the 2.4 Ghz Page and SAVE. Your devices will then be presented with a choice of two Wi-Fi Network names for connection. It will also remove a power restriction that sometimes prevents older legacy devices to connect to the common broadcast named network. Example

For legacy 2.4 GHZ devices - longer distance coverage, slower speed - TelstraABCDEF

For newer 5 GHz devices - shorter distance coverage, higher speed - TelstraABCDEF_5GHz

This will enable you to determine which devices have issues with coverage in your home and you can then manually set the device to a preferred band where it functions in a stable state. For dual band devices, the device will always determine which band it will connect to after that depending on where you move around the home, seeking the strongest signal, and since you will have both networks registered in those devices hopefully if an auto swap over occurs, it will retain connectivity.

Unusual that you would be three times unlucky with faulty modems. Some homes are Wi-Fi unfriendly due to many brick walls, in these cases, a Telstra Wi-Fi Booster may assist. Let us know if things improve and if not, we can look further. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: WI FI dropping out.

Hi - when your Wi-Fi drops out, do any LAN connected PCs also have issues or can they continue to access the Internet? What is the modem model number and firmware version shown on the home page of the log-in screen? What are the models of devices that are dropping their Wi-Fi links to the modem - to establish which devices are dropping out and if they are limited to 2.4 Ghz or support both 2.4Ghz/5GHz bands? 

If your modem only displays one common Telstra Wi-Fi Broadcast name, you could open up a web browser and type 192.168.0.1 to enter the Admin screens and after admin and password entry,  try to Disable the Band Steering function on the 2.4 Ghz Page and SAVE. Your devices will then be presented with a choice of two Wi-Fi Network names for connection. It will also remove a power restriction that sometimes prevents older legacy devices to connect to the common broadcast named network. Example

For legacy 2.4 GHZ devices - longer distance coverage, slower speed - TelstraABCDEF

For newer 5 GHz devices - shorter distance coverage, higher speed - TelstraABCDEF_5GHz

This will enable you to determine which devices have issues with coverage in your home and you can then manually set the device to a preferred band where it functions in a stable state. For dual band devices, the device will always determine which band it will connect to after that depending on where you move around the home, seeking the strongest signal, and since you will have both networks registered in those devices hopefully if an auto swap over occurs, it will retain connectivity.

Unusual that you would be three times unlucky with faulty modems. Some homes are Wi-Fi unfriendly due to many brick walls, in these cases, a Telstra Wi-Fi Booster may assist. Let us know if things improve and if not, we can look further. 

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit