MJH44
Level 1: Cadet

Wifi Booster - wired connection

Hi,

I’m curious to know before buying if the new NBN Gen 2 Wifi Booster will allow a wired connection via the Ethernet port on the booster? I have one device that is not wifi enabled in the weak wifi signal room. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Wifi Booster - wired connection

That ‘same’ question was asked over in the Whirlpool forum, with the reply:

“You can use the lan ports on the extender to connect a device such as Foxtel etc”

The network wiz @cf4 could possibly confirm that, before you proceed with your purchase.

Maisie-Marigold
Level 2: Rookie

@MJH44 wrote:

I have one device that is not wifi enabled in the weak wifi signal room. 

Yes that's what I use the Telstra wifi booster for. You can connect any device to the ethernet port on the back of booster including ethernet switches and powerline adapters; I have tried them all and all work.

As the booster has only one ethernet port, if you want more than one wired connection just buy a cheap ethernet switch (<$15), connect that to the ethernet port on the booster and then connect the couple of devices to the switch.

You can also use the ethernet port on the Telstra wifi booster to connect to a powerline adapter to create a wired connection back to the Telstra Smart Modem elsewhere in the house. Great of multi level or large home.

All the Telstra documentation only makes mention of the ethernet port on the back of the Telstra wifi booster as only solely used for the initial pairing of the booster to the Telstra Smart Modem and then port not used again. Which is odd because having an ethernet port on the back of the booster also adds some great additional functionality to the Telstra wifi booster that substantially increases the devices usefulness which is the Telstra wifi booster's best selling point.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The ethernet port can be used to connect wired devices. I have tested the Ethernet port connected to PC. The speed was about 300 Mbps with the booster located about three rooms away from the modem and blocked by two brick walls. The specification also mention the Ethernet port can be used as a LAN port.

Specifications

Hardware

• Powerful dual core CPU
  • 1 x auto sensing  Ethernet WAN/LAN port
  • MediaTek MTK7621A Wireless network card
  • 32MB Flash

Wireless Connectivity

• AC2533 (1733 +800M) Dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi
  • 4 x 4 802.11ac 5GHz-256QAM support
  • Wi-Fi EasyMesh™ certified self-10/100/1000Mbpsconfiguring network for maximum coverage
  • Maximum of four boosters on a single Wi-Fi network

Wi-Fi Roaming

• Wi-Fi roaming IEEE® 802.11k/v
  • Wi-Fi Band steering

Antennas

• 2.4GHz band – 4 transmit/receive
  • 5GHz band – 4 transmit/receive

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit