compactmad
Level 2: Rookie

Wifi connection

Hi I purchased a new PC for my son and laptop for myself. My laptop connects to the wifi at home but I cannot get my sons PC connected. It shows other wifi connections including my hotspot from my phone  (when I turn it on).

My others sons pc is connected to the home wifi.

I put my laptop in my sons room and it connects to the wifi, why can't I connect this pc?

Kind Regards,

Tanya

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Wifi connection

The most likely reason this is occurring is that your son's PC only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi and the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. The other PCs are probably dual band. To check if modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you install a WiFi analyser app on a PC or android device and check if the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is transmitting. There is a free WiFi analyser app by Matt Haufner in the Windows store. In the image below Private N3 is the WiFi from my modem.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Tanya, do you have an iPhone,.

compactmad

Yes my son does?

compactmad

I did this, but I really don't understand what I'm looking at. 

Dowser

@Dowser wrote:

Tanya, do you have an iPhone,.

There is an app on the iPhone which measures frequencies and signal strength, but for now it sounds like you have already performed the test recommended by cf4 - and its output is graphical, so I suggest that you post a similar picture of your measurements and let cf4 analyse it.

cf4

Each of the peaks in the graph is a WiFi network. There should be a peak one your modem's name above it. If there isn't a peak with the modem's wifi name on the 2.4 GHz WiFi graph then your modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

You could post an image of the results displayed by the app using windows snipping tool for us to interpret.

Another way of checking if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty is to log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > Devices or Advanced > Local network > Devices. There is a list of all connected devices and how they are connected. If there are non on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band then this is a good indication that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

compactmad

compactmad

5ghz

compactmad

I uploaded a couple of snips, I'm assuming it all looks good.

cf4

Yes it all looks good. One thing that might cause a problem is the modem is using channel 13. Some devices don't support channel 13. You could try manually changing channel to 1,6 or 11 in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings.

compactmad

Hopefully last question. How do you get into the wifi settings on the modem?

cf4

Open a web browser on device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Across top off the screen one of the items will be WiFi select the WiFi settings. The 2.4 GHz WiFi settings will be displayed. Scroll down to channel and change from Auto to either channel 1, 6 or 11. Save settings.

compactmad

I've tried connecting to that link but it refuses to connect.

Mkrtich

Hi does your modem only broadcast one common name for the WiFi Network e.g. TelstraXXXXXX or does it display two names e.g. TelstraXXXXXXX for the 2.4 Ghz network and TelstraXXXXXX-5G for the 5Ghz network. 

What is the brand and model of your sons's new desktop PC. In order to establish the capability of the WiFi adapter in your son's new desktop PC

1. If Windows - open up a CMD screen by typing cmd into the bottom LHS bar and select Run as Administrator

2. Type   netsh plan show interfaces   after flashing cursor and then select Enter

3. Note the WiFi type shown along with other important parameters - if it is working, it should show State - Connected - does it, SSID Name, Authentication Used WPA2, Channel Used - if it doesn't show Channels 1-13 but higher figures starting from 36 onwards - it is using 5Ghz, Receive and Transmit speeds and Signal Strength %.

4. If Mac - Press and Hold Option and WiFi Icon at Icon Bar at top RH of screen to see similar information.

5. What modem model do you have - in the 2.4 Ghz screen it is possible to Disable Band Steering to allow the modem to show separate bands - this will allow you to determine which is the best band to connect to if the PC that is not connecting is too far from the modem. The stronger signals will come from the 2.4 Ghz band.

Also if you have the Technicolor Gen 1.1 or Gen 2, it has a Wireless Analyser built in, so you can see the devices technical specs listed there - the new PC adapter's version of Protected Management Frames, even if PMF is listed in the properties on the device screen, it may not be recognised by the modem due to the way that extra security feature is implemented in the Telstra modem. May pay to also Disable that feature, PMF, in the same Advanced WiFi 2.4 Ghz WiFi band screen as well to see if matters improve. 

cf4

I assumed you had a Telstra Smart modem. If you have an earlier modem then the address is http://10.0.0.138. If asked for log in details it is admin (user id) and admin (password).

compactmad

Thank you for your help.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit