Duncan68
Level 2: Rookie

Wifi Issue

I'm in a small apartment with ADSL+ broadband via Telstra. I have a Telstra supplied wifi modem (T-gateway?) which, until recently served me well. I have Foxtel IQ2 connected via powerline adaptor, plus an iPhone, iPad, tv, old laptop running W7, a Sonos wifi speaker and a printer via wifi. All devices are in line of sight of router and run latest software, iOS etc. For first 3 months I had a few minor issues with printer disappearing from network, and would love it to be faster, but comfortable. Until I brought in a new PC running W10. Initially, no problems. New PC was professionally installed easily. I was able to download software, surf the net etc. For a while! After a month or so, my wifi speaker started dropping out - "unable to locate speaker" message on controller (iPad etc) and iPad/iPhone wouldn't surf the net. But I found that if I turned wifi OFF on new PC, speaker would reappear. So for a while, that was my solution - PC's wifi ON when I needed to connect to internet - OFF at all other times to surf net or music with Apple devices. That worked till internet on PC only worked intermittently. I struggled to send a 11Mb file via email. So I then spent time working through the help & troubleshooting pages on Telstra's site. Changed wifi channels, passwords, even a factory reset. Tried disabling one device at a time then resetting router. Always same result - it all worked for a while, then wifi stopped working IF new PC's wifi was on. The conclusion must be new PC (it was all but fine before it came along). So I convinced supplier that their wifi card was defective and they replaced it under warranty. And it worked, for 3 hours! Then back to same old drama. The PC supplier did say I should also replace my router and quoted me $200 for a new one - I said no, it's your card. Now I'm not so sure. My final act was to temporarily move powerline adaptor to new PC. New PC worked a treat, but . . . iPhone demanded wifi password , but wouldn't accept it. Reset router & iPhone before it would work on wifi. iPad simply wouldn't work on wifi for 12 hrs; then next morning worked fine. I now, if I turn PC on, and connect to internet, iPad sometimes looses connection to Internet. But iPhone is fine, most of the time, as is old PC? Am I stuck with having to either buy a new router, or buy another powerline adaptor and turn PC's connection on/off to allow other devices to use wifi? Or is there something I've missed; another fix to try? Any help appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Wifi Issue

I understand that you have had the Wi-Fi network card replaced, but have to checked the network adapter driver? 

There are some known issues with Windows 10 so I would suggest following the troubleshooting steps that they have outlined here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Particularly as the new card worked for 3 hours before triggering more issues, you may need to roll back the driver as they advise further down the page.

The wireless network will operate to the standard of the lowest functioning device connected to it, which would explain why the new computer is triggering issues with other devices. 

If you have a TG799 or TG800, I would suggest connecting your laptop to the 5 Ghz Wi-Fi network and the other devices to the 2.4 Ghz network (or vice versa) to see if that makes any difference to the way the devices interact.

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Duncan68

Thx Shelly

Some success.

I've already worked through most of the steps outlined at  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues. The one I hadn't tried was rolling back the driver.  I've now tried this but same result.

I had a closer look at the Wireless Network Report  that I ran 3 days ago- all the disconnection reasons (4x) were "PSK mismatch suspected". I don't know what that means and a quick web search hasn't helped. Any  ideas?

Your suggestion of putting New PC on different frequency was a good idea, but unfortunately I have a single band TG797 (2.4Ghz only). Your idea did inspire another one - I've put New PC (the one running Windows 10) on the "Guest" network.  30 hours later, it's still running ok! So now, all of my devices are running successfully on the 'main' network and New PC is isolated on the Guest network.

Unfortunately, that means I cant print from or scan to the New PC. 

I also re-ran the Wireless Network Report and no failures since I made the change, backing up what I have observed.

Now I just need to work out how to print/scan - I hope I didn't throw out the printer cable!

Any more ideas most welcome.

Duncan

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update, it's great to hear that you have had some success with my suggestions.

PSK makes me think that the laptop is trying to connect using WPA-PSK for the Wi-Fi network encryption type. 

Most of our modems these days come with the Wi-Fi encryption set to WPA2-PSK so I am wondering if the Wi-Fi network configured on your laptop is utilising WPA-PSK or one of the other types instead. 

Can you check the settings for the Wi-Fi networks in your laptop and in the Advanced section fo the modem to see what the encryption type is? 

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Duncan68

Thx Shelly

Both 'normal' and 'guest networks were set to WAPA2 PSK on the router. I tried WPA-WPA2 PSK on both, swapping New PC across both networks. 

Same result - as soon as new PC is on 'normal' network the network goes down.

Odd!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit