Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

WiFi stops working on mobile devices.

Having this long running issue with all mobile phone devices on my WiFi network at home. I'm NBN HFC with a Technicolour DJA0230 model modem connected to an Arris CM8200 NBN Cable NTD. I have one NAS drive connected to an ethernet port. Everything else (mobile phones, iPad, laptops, some Sonos boxes etc) connect over wifi.

The issue is like this; when using a mobile device (be it Apple iPhone - X, Xs or 11 - or Samsung S10 or S20), when using an app or web browser on the device, very often and randomly the app or web browser will just hang there waiting for the information to be retrieved. On my Apple iPhone X, the circle will spin and spin and spin for ages with no information downloaded. While the circle is spinning, if I turn off WiFi on the phone and flick over to 4G, the web site or data in the app gets downloaded in a nanosecond, like immediately. If I turn wifi back on on the phone, wifi will work for a random period of time. This behaviour tends to happen most often after picking up the phone, unlock it, and start to use it. 

I have no problems connecting to WiFi. If I forget the network on the mobile device and connect again it always connects. Same if I leave Wifi off on the phone for a while and turn it back on, it always connects, so I have no problems connecting to wifi, ever. 

This does not happen with any of my computers, whether Windows or MAC. Doesn't even happen on my old iPad mini. Only happens on mobile phone devices, mainly iPhones.

Hope someone can help. It's driving me crazy!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: WiFi stops working on mobile devices.

There are many posts from people who have experienced the same problem with devices using IOS 13 connected to the Technicolor modem. There was a recent firmware update that should have fixed the issue. Latest firmware is 18.1c.462-950-RB. The firmware version can be checked by login into modem and going to Advanced > Gateway Info.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks so much cf4! Looks like my router is out of date.

Are you able to provide or point to some instructions on how to update the firmware? There does not seem to be a firmware update page or function in the router as far as I can see, and I can't seem to find any instructions for this specific model.

Many thanks!

Highlighted

The firmware should update automatically. Sometime some modems fail to update and require the update to be pushed to the modem by Telstra support staff. You can try factory resetting the modem as this sometimes enables an modem that  failed to update to update.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit