Fieryservant
Level 1: Cadet

Will upload speeds ever be increased?

I'm a photographer and filmmaker and for me upload speeds are super important. To send clients work, and especially I would like to archive work to the cloud. At current speeds that isn't possible.

I have the fastest plan I can buy at the moment which is 250/25. So the download speeds are great but uploads recently got reduced from 40 to 25 with no reason, just got a Telstra notice.

Surely we're at a place now where we can at least have the option of purchasing faster upload speeds. Currently I'm maxxed out at 25 and it feels like 2015.

Telstra - do you have any plans in place to increase upload speeds for those of us that really need it?

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Will upload speeds ever be increased?

As soon as you opt for Superfast or above, your service gets reshaped to NBN Premium, which allows a more assymetric download/upload ratio (the general feeling is apparently that more peole want to download (streaming services) than upload. There are some RSP's out there that do provide symettrical services, but whether thet can provide such a service in your area requires some research..

I use a mobile 4G broadband service which most of the time provides double my Superfast HFC broadband upload speed...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Fieryservant

I just checked my mobile speed and it's around 120/18, so that's slower than I'm getting via NBN .

I wish I could allocate my speed however I wished. i.e. if I had 300 in total, I could split it however I wanted between upload/download.  50/50, 60/40 etc.

That would be awesome - Telstra can I please request this?

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

You might be able to get faster upload speeds depending on the Technology type that you are on.

You would need to be on a Business Plan rather than a consumer (home broadband) plan.

See NBN speeds explained Telstra Small Business for the speeds that are available on the Small Business Plans.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Fieryservant

Thanks for sharing that page. Even with those plans the maximum upload is 45 and most were 20 or less. Surely there is a large base of creative professionals that would kill for really fast upload speeds

Jupiter

The maximum upload is 100Mbps on Ultra Plus (business), but it is only available on a FTTP connection. If are on any other Technology type the connections are much lower.

I have a 100/100Mbps connection, but I'm not on an NBN connection (could only get 37/6Mbps on that). You may need to do some research and see if there are suppliers of other technology types (eg wireless - not mobile broadband) in your area.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit