Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

90 year old has home phone disconnected twice through Telstra and NBN errors. Still not reconnected

Disconnection in error twice without notice afflicted on 90 year-old - still without phone.

Chronology

Letter arrived from Telstra dated 11/12/18
“Final Notice of Disconnection for NBN takeover”
Called 1800 993 627
Told that my contact details were wrong and that I could not access that account information. DOB wrong, etc. A helpful bloke finally looked up the information and said that the order actually was in regard to the unit behind, and that he had looked up the main house, and there no NBN available at that address so actually I did not have to worry.

Fast forward to Monday 29 February.
O/N 1-1930117500534
11.20 - discovered my mother’s phone had been disconnected without notice. On the phone for 1hour and ten minutes.
Passed from department to Department, finally saying that they were not prepared to speak to me because my details were incorrect for that line.
I then had to drive 45 minutes to Bathurst Telstra office to change the incorrect details on my account.
The details all belonged to the former resident at the unit behind.
I spent 45 minutes with Telstra in the Bathurst store verifying the NBN was not available at the main house, and that Telstra had somehow migrated the details from the former resident of Unit 2. I was assured the service would be restored within 2 hours at the maximum.
I travelled 45 minutes back home and waited until the two hours were up and still the phone was not connected. I called and was told that NBN was still sticking by the original disconnection. that call started at 5pm and ended at 6.17pm when I finally got Katie in the Brisbane office who understood just how bad my situation was and she went and fixed the problem and had the phone reconnected at 7.20 pm. She even rang the following morning to check to make sure all was ok.

Time lost to Telstra and NBN’s mistakes 11.20am to 7.20pm. 8 hours

Fast Forward to 28/3/2019

My sister phoned Telstra to see why my mother’s phone was disconnected. She was told it was the NBN order and that she had no authority to speak re the account. She phoned me at 4.55pm

I phoned Telstra - call went from 5.00pm - 5.45pm
Told that it had been disconnected because of NBN being available - NBN is not available at 48 Albert St, as we had sorted out three weeks ago - NBN does not recognise that there can be a main address and additional units. The Telstra person here look at the screen and discovered that I was right - there was no NBN available at the main house, but because the phone had been disconnected I had to go through the process of setting up a new line. At the end of that process she assured me that she would ring me in 15-20 minutes on my mobile to say that line had been reconnected. I was running late to pick up my wife so I answered her questions as quickly as I could and dashed off to pick up my wife

No call was forthcoming and after three hours I returned home to call Telstra again, and after switching on my computer discovered that not only was the phone not reconnected, but I received a bill of $240 for a technician to come and connect up my “new” service.
At 8.55 pm I rang Telstra again and after speaking with a girl and explaining my situation all over again, I finally demanded to speak to a supervisor who tried to see what he could and eventually said there was nothing he could do, because it was the billing department who had to handle this sort of thing and they were close. I make it very clear over and over again throughout the afternoon that my mother was 91, lived on her own, and needed her telephone service for security. I asked that there must be an emergency procedure for reconnecting lines (especially ones that had been disconnected by a Telstra and NBN mistake). The phone call dropped out at 10.10pm and he phoned me back, saying there was one more avenue that he could try and that he would phone me back within 20 minutes. He also said that someone would call in the morning so i wouldn’t have to go through the process all over again.
Time Taken so far 5pm to 10.30pm 4.5 hours
So far 12.5 hours plus the first contact.
Finally giving up at 11.10pm and going to bed. Nearly an hour after he said would phone me back within 20 minutes.

Friday 29 March. No phone calls so waited until 9.30 am to be sure that nothing was going to happen. 9.30 am phoned and had to go through the whole process all over again. Very apologetic and helpful young man. He is contacting billing and then another department that has the authority for connections. It is now 9.48am.
10:12 back on the line asking if we are talking about Unit 2, and I say for the millionth time that it is a separate house not unit1 or 2! Told to hold onside more. Supervisor come on the line and says that he will explain why they cannot connect to Unit 2, and I say that it is not Unit 2 and on and on we go - he asks me to hold on for some more time. 10.28 he says he will call me back in 10-15 mins
Name Kunwar - direct line 1800008021 Option 1. He said he was taking ownership of the situation.
Came back on the line at 10.55pm saying the I needed to go to the nearest Telstra store. According to him, my mother’s line has always been connected to 2/48 and not to 48. In order to assure that it doesn’t happen again I have to into the Telstra store. I explained that it did me no good last time.
Finally I was put onto a supervisor who said that I have to provide the GPS coordinates for the property so they could properly locate it. I phoned the local council and got them, and then phoned Telstra back. The person i gave them to said that the technician was now booked in for Monday 1st to reconnect the service. I explained that this was not acceptable and they referred me to the complaints department. 1800 241 787.
I rang the complaints department and the receptionist listen to my details once again and then transferred me to connections, and after explaining my situation once again, I was put on hold and its now been about 15 minutes - 12.50pm. - 3 hours and twenty minutes since I picked up the phone this morning.
Having been on hold she came back and said that earliest would be Monday. Appointment booked with technician to call at the address between 8am -12pm. Called ended at 1.32pm - 4 hours.

Lodged complaint with Ombudsmen at 1.15pm while on hold.

Monday 1 April
Tried number at 12:10pm. Still not connected. Phoned 1800834273 at 12.15pm. Helpful man, but still had to repeat the whole scenario. Call finished 1.50pm Technician promised now before 5pm. I have been promised a call back to confirm that service has been reconnected between 5 and 5.15pm this evening (Monday).

Altogether I have spend close to 20hours on this matter, and my costs have been 20 hours @ $150 per hour quite apart from lost productivity plus 110 kms of travel @ 75c per km = 82.50, amounting to $3,082.50.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: 90 year old has home phone disconnected twice through Telstra and NBN errors. Still not recon...

Hi @crow52,

I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with this issue. I can see that you have a case manager assigned to you for this issue, if you'd like I can follow up with them and ask them to get in contact with you and let you know what is happening with this issue?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Re: 90 year old has home phone disconnected twice through Telstra and NBN errors. Still not recon...

Today NBN promised that they would call and didn't My case manager finally called at 11.20am. After much discussion he got back to me asking that I contact the local council to get proof that my mother's address existed. (she has had her landline there for fiver years before before twice disconnected without notice through Telstra and NBN's mistakes) Si NBN ignores the plight of a 90 year-old without a phone for six days and counting and does not take emergency steps to get it reconnected - I don't understand at all. It seems that the NBN system cannot recognise that there can be a main residence and units on the same block. My mother waited in all day yesterday Randall day today for a technician not to arrive.

My case manager said that he may be able to get NBN to recognise the address within 24 hours (in the meantime it is past the ombudsman's maximum time for this to be cleared up.) Then and only then can an order be raised and a technician scheduled to visit - when he has time of course! Too bad about the customer service - too bad abut the 90 year old without a phone through no fault of her own. This is true shameful.

Highlighted

I hate auto spell correction, and hope that others don't think I can speak properly!
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'm limited as to what information I can give out about your existing complaint since I haven't IDed you (and can't ID you via this public page), but everything you've said there lines up with what I can see here, so this is being worked on and now that you have a case manager they can continue following up on this so that it is completely resolved.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

In response my mother has been offered a temporary phone, while will arrive by courier - wait for it!! - the day after tomorrow! that will be the eighth day since she was disconnected. In the meantime NBN has yet to decide whether her address exists or not, and and has not raised an order for a new phone for her. Presumably that will be some time after the day after tomorrow. This is so inconsiderate of a 90year-old. Personally I am sick of lost hours on the phone, sick of Telstra Muzak, and sick of a system where one department can't communicate properly with another and you have to repeat everything to each new consultant. Would you believe I was asked today to contact the local council to have them prove that my mother's address existed - she has had a landline at that address for the last five years!!!
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Are you aware of Medical Priority Assistance?
The government pay Telstra to provide a higher level of service to those having a serious illness, where communication eg Ambulance etc etc is mandatory.
Telstra will grant it on request, and you have 30 days after that to have your doctor sign it off and Telstra receive it at the special address on it.
You can download the form and print it for her doctor to sign.
https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/support/pdf/home-phone/priority-assist-applicat...
After that, when you ring Telstra, it will identify that number calling and ask if it's a medical issue with the phone.
NBN also ask you to notify them if the service is Medical Priority Assistance. Below is the link:
https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/what-happens-in-a-power-blackout/priority-assistance

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit