Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Adding another phone same no to nbn

This is difficult to explain, my father has a large button disability corded phone. This phone has 10plus buttons he can push to dial out each with a different no. 

He wants to retain this phone as he cannot ring out on any other.

my question is can he add a cordless phone set up as well as this phone as he cannot get to the phone in time to answer it. He has looked at disability cordless phones but cannot use them to ring out due to his visual impairment, plus he is 92 so is technical impafed as well.

he is NBN connected.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Adding another phone same no to nbn

Will depend on the modem you are using, if it has two green phone ports on the back, you can plug the normal phone into the first one and this phone into the second one, assuming it uses a standard phone port. If your modem doesn't have two green phone ports you'll need to look at upgrading to one that does. The Telstra Smart Modem is the current modem on offer and it does have 2 green phone ports on the back.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

He can of course use a DECT phone (With the right Telstra modem) as a cordless phone for answering.

The Telstra T-Voice® 503 Handset will do the job.

Do you know what modem he is using?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

If the modem doesn't have two green phone a phone double adapter can be used to connect a cordless home base and the current large button disability phone.
If he has an old ADSL filter splitter this can be used as a double adapter. Only the phone socket has an inbuilt filter to filter out ADSL frequencies so the DSL port can connect to one phone and the phone port to the other.

As @Ozmoz has already stated DECT handset can be connected directly to modem by wireless but not all DECT handsets will connect. Only DECT 2.0 handsets can connect to the DECT base in the modem. DECT 6.0 handsets cannot connect to the modems DECT base.
Highlighted

@cf4wrote:
As @Ozmoz has already stated DECT handset can be connected directly to modem by wireless but not all DECT handsets will connect. Only DECT 2.0 handsets can connect to the DECT base in the modem. DECT 6.0 handsets cannot connect to the modems DECT base.

@cf4 Interesting, just as a matter of interest, does all the Telstra phones support 2.0? I don't know where to double check?

I was told the Telstra T-Voice® 503 Handset is a good simple choice for the Frontier modem.

I found my old Fritzbox Fon worked so I haven't taken it any further.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

@Ozmoz

The Telstra T-Voice® 503 Handset uses DECT 2.0. The Fritzbox also uses DECT 2.0

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit