Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Asterisk as a END point for Telstra VoIP

I have an asterisks system at home, and I want to make use of the Telstra number that has been assigned to me.  Anyone know how to setup the Telstra Modem to pass the calls through to the System?  and/or how to setup the trunk line to use the Telstra account for outbound calls?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Asterisk as a END point for Telstra VoIP

Telstra does not give out any SIP details so you want be able to set up your asterisks system with the Telstra number attached to your internet service.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - what is the hardware platform your Asterisk system is operating on and does it have an analog or FXS port capability that would allow you to connect to the Phone port of the Telstra modem.

Highlighted

cf4 - Do you work at Telstra?  If so can you please post the link to the third party forcing exception that Telstra has been granted? 

Telstra is not able to force me to use a certain brand or type of modem in order to use your service.  Further, using the Telstra provided modem raises issues of privacy considering often Telstra will change settings on my modem without my approval. (I know this is done by a script) Considering the legal position of Telstra is the customer is reasonable for anything pass the  termination point, the unauthorized access of a customers device, is technically illegal hacking.

I look forward to receiving the details for the SIP service

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You won't receive the SIP details.

Telstra (and other RSPs) are within its' rights according to the ACCC to limit the equipment that can access their network.

If you aren't happy with that, I would suggest that you contact the ACCC.

Note: all of this was dealt with years ago when the NBN started rolling out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I am not asking to remove the Telstra modem from the setup, I am wanting to have the connection passed through to the asterisk system.  While the ACCC may have said they can control what equipment Telstra may use on their network (and I disagree with this, because the Telstra network ends at the termination point of the connection point.  This is Telstra own policy, they use it to charge customers for servicing, they can not change the definition when they like), this is not their network, it is my network.  They do not control what phone, I use in my house.  At a bare minimum the telstra modem should contain a SIP proxy, there are lots of open source programs that provide this, and considering the Telstra modem is using a modified version of OpenWRT they can easily install it.  I also note, I can not find anywhere on Telstra website, the licenses for the open source software they are using on their modems, in breach of the licenses of these programs.

Highlighted

Hi - Telstra Gen 2 modems are specifically provided for residential customers on their respective NBN plans and provide an analog only phone port for the associated telephone service. Digium make PCIe Analog Gateway Cards for PCs and are available at low cost from suppliers in Australia. From reading posts, some customers have also used Ethernet ATA Adaptors for connecting to other VoIP RSPs - I assume for overseas calling as I can't understand why when calls within Australia are free on Telstra NBN. 

If you are registered for an ABN, ACN or ARBN and predominantly use the Telstra service for business purposes, then you may wish to investigate the Telstra DOT on NBN Core Plan offerings. A different modem is provided for that purpose allowing you to connect your IP telephony equipment by Ethernet e.g. Cisco, Yealink, Panasonic or Other, however the telephone line/s services are provided via Telstra, not other RSPs. 

You can view the list of Open Source Software files used by Technicolor by going to their Regulatory Information, Open Source Docs web site and looking under Modems and Gateways, the DJA0231 uses the Technicolor Homeware Operating System for 18.1 and 18.3. I don't think its carte blanche in terms of accessing binaries, tarballs or codes. Its a complex ecosystem of a mixture of Open and Exempt software. Arcadyan are somewhat more secretive and you have to apply to them for information.

" There are many standard forms of licence terms which are used for open source software. It’s typical for these licenses to place restrictions on the redistribution of the open source software or software bundled with or built upon the open source software".  

https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/ip-for-digital-business/develop/licencing-and-open-source

Telstra also has a section that is responsible for Open Source Software usage on their products and services.  

Highlighted

Thank you for the response, I do have FXX Posts and will use them.

I do however disagree with the licensing position, I believe it is my understanding the GNU, MIT and other open source license must be on the device, and the User Guide is the normal location to have the open source licenses listed.  Even if it is not required by law, ethically they should be listed, giving the authors of the programs used by Telstra at least credit for the work they have done.

Highlighted

Yes, although Telstra is not the OEM of equipment that they supply as an integral element of the service they provide on their terms and conditions, I also think it would be appropriate to acknowledge by way of a few paragraphs in User Manuals and Quick Start Guides, the fact that the equipment supplied may contain certain Open Source Software modules which are subject to OSS licence terms and, if and where applicable, subject to the terms of the OSS licences,  provide a link to a web site where corresponding licences and version numbers are available. Obtaining them is another matter. I have seen Foxtel acknowledge and do that on one of their user guides for equipment made by Technicolor.

Approaching OEM vendors is also not a straight forward task as one would expect and I think that may be related to Intellectual Property matters where certain firmware modules are classified and accepted by the Freeware community as exempt modules e.g. Broadcom will not provide any of their proprietary modem coding. Foreign government sponsored companies have unashamedly 'borrowed' a significant amount of coding from US companies - that's another story.  

A side observation - If you look into the Technicolor modem's Event Log file after a system restart, amongst the many lines shown in the initialisation boot up sequence, you will see the names of three people who are formerly acknowledged by Technicolor and OpenWRT in lines displayed. I can't remember if they also appear in the Acradyan version.  

Highlighted

Thank you again for your response.

OEMs can be difficult, but I think this is a case of agree to disagree.  I do not buy that Telstra had anything less then a majority hand in the software, and therefore technically are the oem providers.  I know the Telstra Lawyers are good, and would have made sure the i are dotted and the t are crossed to protect Telstra, but once again, ethically and legally are two different things in this day and age.

Thank you again for you assistance with the FXO port.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit