Hibiscus811
Level 1: Cadet

Best landline, internet and i phone plans

My husband and I are pensioners and are looking for the most economical plan for our landline, internet (ADSL) and 2 mobile phones.  Currently our mobiles are pre-paid and costing too much.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Best landline, internet and i phone plans

In reference to just your home phone, Telstra have an Essentials plan for home phones available only to pensioners etc.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

With Telstra, for your mobiles, you won't get cheaper than the $30 Prepaid Mobile plan (on Automatic recharge which extends the 28 days out to a full calendar month) unless you only have them for emergency use only, in which case the Prepaid Mobile Casual Plans may be up for consideration.

For the Home Phone & Internet, Telstra does have an Invite only "Starter Internet" plan for $60 per month. You only get 25GB of Data, but you get Unlimited Calls to Australian Mobiles and Landline Standard Australian Numbers.

It's not a useful plan if you use Streaming Services.

@ProfessorPhone the "Essentials" plans were removed from sale in 2019.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Regarding your mobile phones, you could each apply for the $30/month Value Mobile Offer.  You can read about its benefits and conditions using the following link

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/telstra-30-month-concession-value-mobile-offer

ProfessorPhone

The Telstra Home phone essential plan is "alive and kicking", and in fact  was recently increased about $2 per month to include most phone calls.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Jupiter

Only if you were already on it. It hasn't been available to sign up to since June 2019. Check the Telstra Customer Terms document for information regarding the cease sales on old plans.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

@Jupiter wrote:

Check the Telstra Customer Terms document for information regarding the cease sales on old plans.

Where would one find that?.

Jupiter

At the bottom of any page. Under the "Privacy and Terms" heading is a link to "Our Customer Terms".

They are a clunky collection of documents (and form part of the contract for any service), but can be handy to figure out what is going on with Telstra and their services.

Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @Hibiscus811 

My suggestion for pensioners is to join Telstra's Belong Mobile https://www.belong.com.au/go/mobile 

You signup for the minimum $25 plan, then when connected you can drop down to the $10 plan for the following months. The $10 plan has (Like all plans) unlimited calls, texts, and includes 1GB of data that you may or may not use. Any unused data goes into an unlimited data bank to use anytime.

It also includes unlimited 13 numbers, which many use for paying accounts.

As for the Home phone, I would see if you can get the Telstra Home Essentials Plan as that was offered to a friend of mine recently who had to migrate from copper to HFC NBN.

Otherwise, it seems the Home Phone Ultimate plan for $55 a month is the only cheaper option with Telstra. Or $75 if you want internet.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Hiiii
Level 1: Cadet

It seems you have to prepay to get this

Dowser

@Hiiii wrote:

It seems you have to prepay to get this

Why do you say that?.

The reality is that so called Postpaid plans pay for each month in advance anyway.

ProfessorPhone

Hello Ozmoz,

Re the Essentials plan you refer that your friend was recently offered, as you will see above Jupiter says it has not been offered since 2019.   I do know about this,  and your friend has had the same experience, which is similar to what I wrote as fact.  Kind regards.

Ozmoz

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

Hello Ozmoz,

Re the Essentials plan you refer that your friend was recently offered, as you will see above Jupiter says it has not been offered since 2019.   I do know about this,  and your friend has had the same experience, which is similar to what I wrote as fact.  Kind regards.

Hi @ProfessorPhone 

Well, @Jupiter is always in the know :-)

I can't say that if he went on that plan that he would remain on it (owing to what @Jupiter has said above). Sometimes individuals who work for an ISP offer things that are later withdrawn when they get you back.

Checking with my friend he was offered, and took the $55 Ultimate plan, which is reduced to $30, but it didn't say how long for (I assume it would be 12 months). In any case, even though he was meant to change over to the new plan, and got all the welcome emails, etc, he is still on his wide-area call plan (Which was grandfathered years ago).

They are still in so much of a mess there at Telstra. I'm surprised someone isn't in charge to fix all these old plans issues up. I'd love to get in there and fire a number of managers. it's them that should be setting examples.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
arbies
Level 2: Rookie

We are with telstra on a $60 a mth plan unlimited internet with free calls apart from overseas calls that is and they only cost cents when used. We are in our 70's. Our mobiles are with Aldi and we hardly use them. They cost us 12 cents a minute and we pay about $15.00 a year each prepaid. That gives us 365 days to use the $15.00

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit