Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Call forwarding for landline account to avoid unwelcome calls

Answered

I have been using the Call Forwarding option from the Add-On feature (after I select to Manage my home/landline account), to send Scam calls back to each other, thus removing them from constantly calling my landline.

However, when I recently tried to add another scam number to one of my rules, I kept getting a "Session timed out" error.

I understand this is the only way I can prevent these scam calls.

Can someone help me to overcome this error on the Call Forwarding Rules page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Call forwarding for landline account to avoid unwelcome calls

Hi - that could be a Telstra networking glitch at the time of your programming. It's quiet labour intensive to have to log-in and create a rule for every new nuisance caller.

Have you considered acquiring a cordless phone system add-on like the Telstra Call Guardian 301 MKII - it screens the caller asking them to say their name before you allow connection. Most Call Centres just hang up after that and you can press the Call Block function key on the handset to put that number directly into a list of up to 1000 Blocked Numbers.

Other Cordless Phone Systems with Answering Machine functions also provide Call Screening and have a Blocked Caller ID Registry - e.g. up to 30 numbers which can be replaced as the needs arise. I have maybe used 10 of them on mine from many years ago - they tend not to reappear after the Call Screening Greeting and their numbers keep changing all the time, so I just let the answering machine cull them now. Works well.   

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - that could be a Telstra networking glitch at the time of your programming. It's quiet labour intensive to have to log-in and create a rule for every new nuisance caller.

Have you considered acquiring a cordless phone system add-on like the Telstra Call Guardian 301 MKII - it screens the caller asking them to say their name before you allow connection. Most Call Centres just hang up after that and you can press the Call Block function key on the handset to put that number directly into a list of up to 1000 Blocked Numbers.

Other Cordless Phone Systems with Answering Machine functions also provide Call Screening and have a Blocked Caller ID Registry - e.g. up to 30 numbers which can be replaced as the needs arise. I have maybe used 10 of them on mine from many years ago - they tend not to reappear after the Call Screening Greeting and their numbers keep changing all the time, so I just let the answering machine cull them now. Works well.   

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for that useful suggestion. I now have multiple approaches in my arsenal now!

Highlighted

Hi I’ve tried several times to get to the Call forwarding page (to forward home phone to mobile (I can do it while home yes but want to know where it is in My account) going by Telstra instructions but when I click Manage there’s nothing about it. Can you help? Thx

Highlighted

Hi - are you doing this from the My Telstra App or from a PC connected to the Telstra My Account 24x7 web page on Sign In to https://www.telstra.com.au/

There may be issues with the web site - can you try to do it from a PC with a different browser to see if you can see the Call Forwarding section. This post involves using a subset of the Call Forwarding section to Block Callers and shows you how to navigate to the Call Forwarding Section.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-phones/would-like-to-block-bogus-callers-who-call-my-hom...

Highlighted

Hi thx for responding. I thought to do the same this morning and finally can see it. 
It’s a shame I can’t do this except while at work on the desktop if I need to call anyone at home I can’t change it. We have some special needs to do this. 

Highlighted

I had a look at the My Telstra App just before - the menus appear there as well, so you should be able to set it up from your mobile as well. Have you done that and it failed to actually work when you tested it - maybe there is a delay involved.  

In the My Telstra App, select Home Phone Icon, select View your call history and manage your phone service box, at Your Bundle - select Manage, Page all the way to bottom Add-Ons - select Manage, on MY ACCOUNT screen you will see  - Phone> Phone - select the second Phone, select Call Forwarding, Create a New Rule and remember to SAVE when done. 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit