Syphur_666
Level 1: Cadet

Call Guardian 301 vs Landline Socket

Answered

Just bought a Call Guardian 301 and relised that it won't plug in to my old landline socket now we're on the NBN, has to be through the modem.  Our modem is in a seperate part of the house so the base unit which it has to be plugged into can't be seen from the main living areas.  Is there a way to get the old landline connection working so the phone can be used and not hidden away?

GNDN
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Call Guardian 301 vs Landline Socket

In order to use the phone sockets they need to be rewired by a licensed cabler. Most electricians have a cablers license.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Accepted Solution

In order to use the phone sockets they need to be rewired by a licensed cabler. Most electricians have a cablers license.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Do you only have the one handset? A second handset can be added, and located elsewhere..

If you only have/need the one handset, a longer telephone cord between the handset and the modem would allow you to have it in a more convenient location (you will also need a power point of course).

The other option is to take it back and exchange the Call Guardian 301 for a Telstra Easy Control - Cordless

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TEC-C-QSG.pdf

This is a DECT type handset that will pair wirelessly, directly with the modem - using the inbuilt DECT system in the modem (you can register multiple handsets that same way as well) - That arrangement uses the Telstra Voicemail system (the old Telstra 101).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Syphur_666
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

I have two handsets but the base unit now has to sit in our study away from the rest of the living areas which to me defeats the purpose. The long telephone lead isn't an option and changing isn't either as I wanted the call blocking feature.

GNDN
SteveW_52

You can block calls through the DECT base built into the modem..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

You can't get the old landline reinstated, but you could get the existing cabling rewired by a licensed cabler so you can extend the connection from the modem to the location where you want the base. In the process, get all superfluous cabling disconnected and any ADSL central filter etc. keep the 'extension' as clean of other devices as possible. It might not be cheap.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

My apologies..  I got confused with the name changes to the Telstra handsets..

The one that would work on the modem DECT is now called  'Smart Handset Cordless Phone'

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TSH-C-QSG.pdf

Sorry for that..

Stevo 52

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit