SabWoo
Level 1: Cadet

Call Guardian not letting me answer calls

Hey guys,

I have set up Call Guardian for my 97yr old grandpa, but pressing 1 (as explained in the instruction manual) does not answer the call. Has anyone else had this issue? I have added as many contacts to his phone as possible to workaround this where I can, but when anyone not in the contact list calls through and gets the Call Guardian message and leaves their name, we then press 1 but the call is never connected.

Hoping for some assistance! Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SabWoo

Re: Call Guardian not letting me answer calls

We have the Call Guardian 302 corded handset, if that helps.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - some possibilities and best guesses - just a few clarifications - is the telephone service enabled for incoming call display and does this happen to all callers not in the Contacts or only just to some callers occasionally? For the problem callers, is their Caller Telephone Line Number displayed on the screen? If they come up as a Private Caller with no number showing, the Call Guardian 302 won't be able to call them back. 

When you say they leave they name, do you mean they leave a message and hang up or do you mean they state their name and are waiting for someone to respond by either accepting the call or blocking it and then you pick up the phone to listen to their name and then Dial 1 and are not connected?

Is the Call Guardian 302 set up in default Announce Mode or is it set to Answer Mode? Page 14/15 User Guide. I can't think of any other possible culprits.

SabWoo

Thanks so much for the fast response!

To answer you questions: yes the callers number is always displayed and it happens with all callers that aren’t saved in contacts. Private numbers say “private” of course, but I’m not wanting to call them back, just to answer the call.

The caller states their name and waits for me to answer, but when I press 1 to accept, nothing happens. This happens for every single unsaved caller since we first got the phone - so it’s not just callers hanging up quickly or anything like that. 

The phone is set to Announce mode, with the answering machine service switched off.

If it helps, when I press 1 to take a call, the seconds are still ticking on the display window, so it’s not like the call is getting disconnected, there is just no sounds whatsoever on the line. The announce message from the caller comes through perfectly clear though.

Mkrtich

OK - is the telephone service on a traditional exchange line service, ADSL or NBN connection? If the latter, can you power off the modem and wait 60 seconds then turn it back ON and test to see if it works properly.

Forgive me for asking, but prior to you pressing 1, have you lifted up the handpiece or selected Handsfree Button first to allow the Press 1 connection process of the incoming caller to the telephone unit to activate?

This is a excellent 13:30 minute video on British Telecom BT Decor 2600 from the U.K. - AKA Telstra Call Guardian 302. You can watch it all the way through from the beginning or start at 7:00 mins in - the presenter goes through the different modes very well at that point specifically showing what you are trying to accomplish - he uses the Handsfree Button first, probably for the benefit of the recording so that we can hear the challenge message and the callers input.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GBQS-lWjF0 

If you have followed all actions shown in the video and it still does not function, you may have a faulty unit - I don't know if Telstra Store will simply give you a replacement under warranty or if you have to go through the My Telstra App for Telstra to send you another one. Hope the mystery gets solved.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit