Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Caller ID

Since connecting to the NBN I have no Caller ID registered on phone but "Out of Area". Also nothing is being recorded on the answering machine. Now have to call 101.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Caller ID

Hi - not sure if this will help. If you log into your account on line at

https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home

and select your home telephone link section - there is a Manage Plan section where you can activate Calling Line ID (CLID) and also set your preference for Message Bank operation. I think by default, Telstra activate your 101 Message Bank, so it means you would have to deactivate it if you use an external answering system. I have the impression that the change is not done immediately and may occur after 24 hours. 

I had CLID prior to the NBN, but on migration to NBN, I found it was turned off. From the modem's phone port, I called Telstra and the agent programmed it back up, asked me to power down modem after the change was completed whilst he stayed on line (somehow he remained connected throughout the process which mystified me) and then the feature worked. The strange thing is that when I look at my account online  it shows CLID as OFF, so that is why I am not sure if the online activation works. If it doesn't work, the only other suggestion I have is to contact Telstra.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit