wombat30
Level 1: Cadet

Connect 2 landline handsets to nbn modem

Answered

My elderly parents have a 2 storey house and prior to NBN connection had phone points both upstairs and downstairs. Since the NBN was connected they only have the upstairs line and are needing access to a phone downstairs. They have a corded phone connected to their modem upstairs. My question is would a 2 line splitter work from the modem to 2 separate home phones, ie the corded phone plus a base of a cordless phone (they could then leave a handset downstairs)? I am trying to help them remotely as we live in different states, otherwise I would just try this myself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Connect 2 landline handsets to nbn modem

Can you advise which make/model of Telstra modem they have?

Rather than a splitter 1 to corded phone the other to cordless base, they would perhaps be better off having two cordless handsets (twin packs are readily available). The advantage of the two cordless would be shared Contacts, call records etc.

It would be possible to use  1 x Telstra Easy Control (TEC-C) which includes a base, and 1 Telstra Easy Control Additional Handset (TEC-A) for instance.

Alternatively, if they have a Telstra Smart Modem 2 - those device have a built in DECT base, so just two cordless handsets Telstra Smart Handset Cordless (TSH-C) can be used, paired directly to the modem. 

See here for device information, pricing and Quick Start Guides

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Can you advise which make/model of Telstra modem they have?

Rather than a splitter 1 to corded phone the other to cordless base, they would perhaps be better off having two cordless handsets (twin packs are readily available). The advantage of the two cordless would be shared Contacts, call records etc.

It would be possible to use  1 x Telstra Easy Control (TEC-C) which includes a base, and 1 Telstra Easy Control Additional Handset (TEC-A) for instance.

Alternatively, if they have a Telstra Smart Modem 2 - those device have a built in DECT base, so just two cordless handsets Telstra Smart Handset Cordless (TSH-C) can be used, paired directly to the modem. 

See here for device information, pricing and Quick Start Guides

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

View solution in original post

wombat30
Level 1: Cadet

• Thanks Stevo 52. Based on their description I believe they have the Telstra Smart Modem 2. I was just trying to work with the handsets they already have, as they find changes to their devices difficult, but it would make sense to buy new phones. I will check them out, thank you.

SteveW_52

I understand that, sometimes changes are hard to adapt to..  but you also need to consider the complexity of splitting the service, for instance, how is the connection down stairs setup (I would guess it was just a parallel of the copper service, which may longer be disconnected and if not would be across the incoming DSL service?

I look after a few aged people and I have found it is easier for them to get to grips with two handsets of the same type, rather than two that operate differently. As I share, the shared contacts list, call information, call blocking etc. is very useful to make the phones easy to live with. But it is horses for courses, always. They have to be comfortable.. 

Yes, you could split (you can get splitters from Jaycar and other places - just make sure there is space for them if they are the plug in type) the line from the Telephone point on the modem and use those existing phones, but you will need a powerpoint near the modem for the cordless base. You'll also need to think about the inbuilt answering machine if there is one, because there might be Telstra 101/Messagebank active on the home phone as well...

I would suggest you avoid using the parallel connection downstairs though.

Stevo 52

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit