Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Connection to new home construction- for Investors

Answered

I want to be able to rent my new house to gloriously desirable tenants.  These kinds of tenants expect that access to all services should be as easy as call their preferred service provider and connect.

Currently, as I have been told by several Telstra employees today,  I cannot order a new Lead in without an existing order to connect a new service for a bundle connection of less than 24 months.

I asked the Customer service person to clarify that, and Yes- they were insistent that I PAY THE FOR THE HOME PHONE AND INTERNET BUNDLE FOR TWO YEARS!!!

To expect that a landlord can only have their new property hardwired to the network if there is a long term service order in place is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous!  It essentially means that they are having to pay their new tenant $299.00 to provide this service and THEN there is NO invoice in the landlords name in order to be able to claim this as an expense of construction!

Seriously,  when are Telstra going to get with the program?  Landlords are not going to pay for their tenants phone service,  NOR give away nearly three hundred dollars.  And surely, requiring someone to use their service in order to connect to network when their are other sutiable providers in the area, is a breach of the Trade Practices Act!  We are required to use you to connect the Network- I get that.  We are NOT required to use your service ongoing.

I am absolutely disgusted in Telstra today, and will be looking for alternate services for ALL of my connectivity requirements.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connection to new home construction- for Investors

Ok, so to try to be as helpful as is possible, 

If you want it set up in your name so you get an invoice that you can claim, you would be best to request just the landline, you would have to pay the $299 and as a minimum either 3 months of the landline service (Which on the smallest offer is about $78 over 3 months) or a temporary connection fee of $100 (this is applied if the connection is active for under 3 months). This does not need a contract.

A landline connection cannot be setup without an order for the service itself typically because the line will be deactivated if it is not used for (typically, but may be longer than) 6 months and the regulations around installing lines make it harder to be done without a service also being ordered. 

Not sure what the agents were on about but you certainly can have just the landline only plan and it is certainly on a month-to-month agreement.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ok, so to try to be as helpful as is possible, 

If you want it set up in your name so you get an invoice that you can claim, you would be best to request just the landline, you would have to pay the $299 and as a minimum either 3 months of the landline service (Which on the smallest offer is about $78 over 3 months) or a temporary connection fee of $100 (this is applied if the connection is active for under 3 months). This does not need a contract.

A landline connection cannot be setup without an order for the service itself typically because the line will be deactivated if it is not used for (typically, but may be longer than) 6 months and the regulations around installing lines make it harder to be done without a service also being ordered. 

Not sure what the agents were on about but you certainly can have just the landline only plan and it is certainly on a month-to-month agreement.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There is no breach of the ACL (Trades Practices Act ceased to exist years ago), as if you went to another provider to get a service connected and you were in a non-NBN area, they would just place the connection order with Telstra on your behalf and pass on the $299 charge. If it was an NBN area, they would place the connection order with the NBN and pass on the $300 charge that NBN Co charges for the initial connection.

Yes, you do need to order an active service to get a line connected to the premises (both old style and NBN connections) but as DrQ says, you do not need to sign up for a 24 month plan, just a casual phone plan. Then you can make the decision about how you want to handle the disonnection of the service.

You could just do what 99% of landlords do and just let the first lot of tennants pay for the connection, or if you are really nice, give them a rebate on their rent equivalent to the connection costs. Someone ends up paying for it in the end.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit