CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Copper network

Answered

Hi, as far as I know we have fibre to the node, copper to the pillar and pit and then from the pit to the residence, my question is can the NBN technician detect an open circuit in the house without having to check the pit and pillar connections?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Copper network

Usually, yes. They can check from the connection point at the house and then do a comparison with an internal check from a phone socket.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Usually, yes. They can check from the connection point at the house and then do a comparison with an internal check from a phone socket.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Jupiter, interesting advice considering Telstra via NBN tech advice has claimed I have a open circuit within the residence without having set foot inside. Time for the ombudsman I think.

Highlighted

They didn't need to step inside to come to that conclusion. If there was no open circuit between the node and your house, and the circuit was indicating that there is an open circuit, then logic would dictate that it should be in your house. It's a fairly easy test to do, it's a process of elimination.

You can check either:

Whole system, plus House to Node (can be done from outside the house and you'd never know, takes 2 minutes)

or

Internal of House, Outside of House to node from House (without going to the node)

either of which gives enough information to make a determination of where the fault should lie.

Now, if a technician has performed the tests, then they should knock on your door and ask if you'd like it fixed (and quote the fee, as if it is your house wiring, then you get charged). If they don't actually find the problem, then no fee.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit