Level 1: Cadet

Crackle on nbn voip line?

Crackle only recently started with no hardware changes made, tried filters, cables and tested phone on another line it either the router or line somehow. 

Tried contacting; 3 different support numbers either no answer or hung up on me. 

Trying to sort this out for my already hearing impared father. Is there a support number I can contact?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Crackle on nbn voip line?

If you have already tested the phone and phone is connected directly to modem the crackle is probably coming from modem. You could try powering modem off and then back on. If that doesn't work try a factory reset by pressing reset button using bent paper clip for at least 10 seconds. On Gen 2 modems rest button is on back of modem near LAN port 2. On some other modems it is below power switch.

Best to contact Telstra using My Telstra app or online at https://fix.telstra.com/smart-troubleshooting/transfertoagent

So turn it off and back on again? This is the best reply? fyi already that, & after war driving all the support numbers I got a result "there is a line fault on out sytem" a II will call you back,  72hrs latter still no call back, what a joke of a te hh support telstra has  become, vet disabled and widowded and be like just give me you're $$$$$? Be churning 

It can not be a line fault. I line fault will not cause a crackle on a NBN connection. Did you try factory resetting modem? The only other thing you can do is replace the modem.

Level 21: Augmented

It's a fact of living with technology, that power cycling (turn off, waiting a few [15+] seconds, turn on) devices can actually fix obscure problems that are a bit unusual. It is always worth a try before expending a lot of energy following an unbending mantra to get a result..

I agree that Telstra support is greatly lacking, but there are a few people who can actually do things through the chat access, to solve problems - you just have to win the lottery to get to those ones, but they do exist.. I was lucky enough to catch one yesterday, who fixed an issue in 2 minutes, that Telstra has been wrestling with ineffectually for over 3 months!

Here at CrowdSupport you are tapping into the acquired knowledge of many, non Telstra, tech savvy people..  they can help with 'learned from experience' suggestions from simple to complex..  don't dis that knowledge - one of those suggestions could well be the answer you are needing, but it all starts with some basic first steps..

My questions to you would be

- do you have a another device you can try?

- how is your crackly handset connected?

- when does the crackling happen?

- if you disconnect the service (DSL or WAN cable) from the modem, does the phone still crackle as you describe?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Yes my apologies I was probably abit snarky having spent several hours trying to get through to support only to be either hung up on or it rang out. 

As a well seasoned tech I had already tried power cycles and reset, also tried the phone on another service to rule it out thus leading to it being some kind of attenuation or SNR issue. 

When I finally did get through to a tech they changed some settings on their end however it was still flagging a line fault in their system that a level 2 tech and they would get back to me about it - 3 days latter no reply. 

Level 21: Augmented

No apology required  - been there, done that. Smiley Happy

The symptoms are puzzling - a crackly line is not something common these days. If it was a line fault I'd expect it to impact your internet service as well? That sort of symptom is more likely to come from an 'electrical' connection which would have to be from the modem - which is why I suggested another handset connected to the modem to see if it was the same.

If you have a smart modem, with 4G backup - switching it into 4G mode should still keep you 'landline' active and through the modem but not through the NBN service, So that is worth trying - disconnect the WAN or DSL cable and see if the phone still crackles and if it still works? (it's worth doing just as an exercise anyway, so you know it works).

Otherwise, can you provide more details about the service you have?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit