Level 2: Rookie

Dial tone during blackout

During the last 2 blackout we have had our Telstra T1000s landline has no dial tone, we do not have NBN & in 51 years with PMG, Telecom & now Telstra we have always had a dial tone & phone service during power outages, in fact I thought it was a "community obligation". Has something changed?

Richard Jackson

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Dial tone during blackout

With NBN it is no longer a community obligation. If you are still on the old PSTN network you should have had dial tone. There are battery backups in the exchanges and in the RIMs so there should have been dial tone. The bigger exchanges as well as batteries have diesel generators.

Level 25: The Singularity

On an old style copper phone service it would be unusual for the phone to fail. It sounds like the backup power to the exchange isn't working. 

Which suburb/town & state are you in?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks for your info, as stated I have no NBN, I'm on Telstra ADSL & have always had a dial tone.

I'm in Teddington (Glendorf Exchange) QLD. 0741297xxx

Level 21: Augmented

That's the way it used to be, and it was all tested regularly..  not sure that still happens under the current Telstra operational model..  Smiley Frustrated

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Richard,

The best way to get it checked out at the moment would be to contact the Telstra Regional Australia Team.

Fill out the following form and hopefully they should be able to let you know what is going on and get it resolved (if possible).

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/regional-australia-contact-us

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit