jojamwil
Level 4: Private Eye

Does call control or something similar exist ?

I have an elderly parent who needs to have access to a phone to receive in coming calls, but we do not want him making out going calls (he has dementia) there used to be (maybe still exists) a service called call control which offered this service but it appears it no longer exists. Is there something that replaced it ?

we cannot use a Portable/cordless phone which would have keypad lock as he hides everything including phones.

thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Does call control or something similar exist ?

Call Control was removed about 4 years ago as part of the NBN migration.

If you want call barring on his service, you will need to contact Telstra to apply the barring that you need. It cannot be managed by the end user.

I believe that the following barring options are available (note 000 cannot be blocked - it's a legal requirement that it be accessible from all active services):

(a) Emergency – we bar all outgoing calls except calls to 000 and to our customer service numbers;
(b) Local – we bar all outgoing calls except calls to 000, to our customer service numbers, to local calls, to 1800 numbers, to 13 numbers and to make an operator assisted reverse charge call (if you are in the extended zone, you can also make calls within the extended zone and to your community service town); or
(c) Local and Operator Assisted – we bar all outgoing calls except calls to 000, to our customer service numbers, to local calls, to 1800 numbers, to 13 numbers and to operator assisted calls (including reverse charge calls); or (d) 1800 – we bar all outgoing calls except calls to 000, to our customer service
numbers, to 1800 numbers or operator assisted reverse charge calls; or
(e) International barring – we bar outgoing international direct calls (including 0011and 0018); or
(f) Operator Assisted barring – we bar outgoing operator assisted calls (reverse charge calls remain available); or
(g) International and Operator Assisted Barring: we bar international direct calls (0011, and 0018) and operator assisted calls (reverse charge calls are still available); or
(h) International Barring: we bar international direct calls (0011and 0018)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jojamwil

Thanks Jupiter. I spent 30+ mins on the phone to telstra. While friendly, they said there was nothing they could offer me to meet my needs. 

maybe it’s the terminology/words. I’ll call them back with what you have said and maybe I can find someone who can help.

just a question though, is this a business line ? Maybe that’s the issue. This would be a personal line.

Jupiter

That list is taken from the Customer Terms document (dated March 2021) for a Home Voice Service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jojamwil

Thanks, I’ll call them back today and hopefully get someone who knows about this.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

If you cannot “get someone who knows about this” then you could call Telstra’s Disability Enquiry Hotline:

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit