Chalky3
Level 1: Cadet

DTMF

Telstra/NBN appear to have changed DTMF tones as the "handshake" to the security gates no longer work. Same issue occurred in 2018.

Peter White

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: DTMF

I hope you mean they have changed a code on your gate controller... if Telstra provide that and not a security company..  otherwise a change to DTMF would cause chaos for all sorts of system...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Raches69
Level 2: Rookie

It sounds like Chalky3's issue is the same that we are having at our complex. About a week or so ago, a number of residents (all with Telstra landlines) started to notice that they could no longer open our security gate using the * key as they have always done. When testing from the gate, there is no tone detected when they press the * key. Works fine from mobiles, and nothing has been changed at the gate.

SteveW_52

Thats odd...  if you use your home phone and start to make a call (lift handset or push the green handset button, then dial *#61#  you should get a message about the status of your 'Call Forward - No Answer' setting. Can you try that and see what happens? the initial '*' is what starts that sequence so if that tone is wrong the code won't work at all...  I tested it several times and that code works fine on my home phone.

Are the phones just normal homephone lines, not through a controller or building system..  do you have to call a number to get to the Gate Controller, I guess so if you can activate it by home phone or mobile?  Is that number correct - same for home phones and mobiles? Is it a full australian number 07 xxxx xxxx or 04xx xxx xxx (spaces are for show only)...

And the system worked OK previously - has Telstra/NBN carried out any work in the area? Any upgrades replacement of modems etc?

If the  *#61# works OK, then I suspect it is a problem at the controller (number changed maybe or something to do with the format of the number on the home phone)..  have you contacted the maintainer of the gate system? Maybe the number was changed or if it is a mobile service, the SIM has been changed...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

I meant to ask, do non Telstra home phones operate the gate OK?

And can explain the full sequence of opening the gate -

Is it just for you to open or can people at the gate contact the individual residences inside to have them open it?

Stevo 52
Raches69

I am the onsite manager at the complex in question. The front gate uses a Telstra SIM card so that when a guest dials the unit number they are visiting, it calls them. That call can go to either a landline or a mobile - it depends on what we have been asked by the resident to programme. When the resident answers the call, they speak to the caller to identify them, then press the * key to open the gate.

Over the last couple of weeks, we have received calls from a number of residents saying that they can no longer open the gate. When I have tested several of them at the gate, I can no longer hear the tone when they press the * key, which would explain why the gate doesn't open.

I am not aware of any work that Telstra has done, but then if they are doing something for a resident, they wouldn't come via us anyway.

I have asked one of the affected residents to try the call foward status query so will reply with the outcome once I hear back from them.

Nothing has changed at the gate controller/SIM card. People can still use the * key from a mobile, however, not everybody wants to use their mobile. I know of one non-Telstra landline that opens the front gate, and they are with TPG. Interestingly, that resident had exactly the same problem which TPG fixed after a lond period of denial. Here is the link to that thread - unfortunately it doesn't say what they did, only that the resident had to reset their modem with a PIN number, and then all was OK.

SteveW_52

It might be worth having the affected residents restart their modems..  but the Call forwarding test should tell if the ' * ' key is producing the required tone..

Are you able to tell me what the gate controller system is?  it seemed to me that it would involve dialling a number and then the * entered once answered..  so that might be a clue, the process is similar to 'auoattendant systems, press 1 forxxx, press 2 for yyy  etc.

Do all the affected residence have the same model of phone?

@Deanna can you  bring this to the attention of the appropriate area?

Update:

I just tested this, calling my mobile from my Telstra 502 Home phone...  none of the numbers pressed, produced a tone at the mobile end... 

Calling my Telstra 502 Home phone from my mobile...  all of the number keys pressed, produced a tone at the home phone end...

So there is definitely something wrong with the Telstra home phone network..

Stevo 52
Raches69

The gate controller is an AES Multicom unit. It has an onboard SIM and basically makes phone calls to residents when their guests dial their unit number. The resident then presses * to open the gate. That's it.

Call forward test results (from one resident):

I followed your instructions *#61# and it advised that Call forward/no answer was off.
I then tried #61# (without*) and it again advised that Call forward/no answer was off.
Interestingly, when my landline/internet wasn't working, they diverted my phone to my mobile. It would have been taken off a few days prior to me noticing the gate not opening.

Not sure what model phone each resident has. Too many to find out.

Thanks for the update!

Would there be a case number that I can give to my residents? If they can then contact Telstra with that as a reference number, they might collectively be able to form a better picture. They have got nowhere fast until now...
SteveW_52

I don't work for Telstra (CrowdSupport is mostly customer to customer), and the problem isn't mine so I can't advise a case number. Someone experiencing the problem might need to contact Telstra to report it, unless a Telstra person that pops into the forum cam redirect the query to the right area..

Further testing update, I also tested to an Auto Attendant number I knew of, and that worked fine..  it would be useful if someone having the problem could try call a bank or government department that has an auto attendant, to see if they can navigate the options ..

I didn't try that test without the *..  sorry about that..

There might be another clue in that detail about the home phone being diverted to the mobile.. I wonder if Call Forwarding is enabled/active and if Messagebank is being used..  did the other problem phones go through the same forwading to mobile prcess and was it all at the same time and for a common reason - Telstra or NBN might have carried out some work around that time causing the need to forward numbers..

If a few more clues can be found, a common cause might be determined..

Stevo 52
Gamgees
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all 

I'm not actually sure how this would get resolved, and it's not something I can raise internally due to the fact that all these houses would have different accounts/Privacy details. 

My recommendation would be that each person who is having issues using this feature with their home line, and their home line is with Telstra, that they should call our faults team to log this one. It's clear that the SIM component still works as people can use mobile, and someone else on another carrier fixed line can still use it, so something has potentially gone screwy for just Telstra customers (disclaimer - I'm no techy and I'm making a bit of a guess here!) 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
SteveW_52

It is hard to diagnose fully, but it would seem to be something to do with the ability to pas key tones once in a connected call (as you would do for responding to an Auto Attendant - Press 1 for aaa. Press 2 for bbb  etc). So there could be wider ramifications from those affected homephones. In one case it was reported that the issue seems to have begun after the home phone was diverted to a mobile number and then restored - no advice on why that diversion was required, but possibly because of some work in the area or possibly the NBN/Telstra service to the premises (possibly affecting multiple users?).

I did some basic testing with calls between a home phone and a mobile - in each case, in both directions, once the call was established, further presses on the home phone keypad (a 502 in this case) there was no tone heard at the mobile just a clicking noise  - but in the reverse direction, when the mobile keys were pressed the resultant tone was clear and obvious on the home phone receiver..

Although my tests weren't conclusive, I was able to negotiate an auto attendant active on a land line (it was a 13 number, so I am guessing it is a fixed line)..  I am not the one experiencing the reported issue either, so I would suggest those people that are having trouble report the issue to Telstra, but in all honesty Gamgees, I feel it might be a hard one to explain to the 1st level support staff..  

Stevo 52
Raches69

Gents - thanks for your input. Yes, the problem is that the affected residents all have individual accounts/contracts with Telstra, therefore I can't call on their behalf. I have told all of them to contact Telstra, but one has spent several hours trying to explain the issue with no result, and others are older customers that just don't understand what they need to be saying, let alone that they would need to be persistent. Essentially we have a major disconnect here, and I am trying to bridge the gap.

@SteveW_52 - the person that had their landline diverted to mobile was due to issues with their landline/internet.

@Gamgees - Any suggestions as to how to progress this please?

SteveW_52

@Raches69   so only one residence had the diversion? I am curious about why that was needed because if they had a Smart Modem with 4G backup, that wouldn't really be necessary..  so perhaps they had an older modem..

So in addition to what sort of home phones are involved, the make and model of the modem might also be important...

I can sympathise with the residents having trouble explaining the issue to Support personnel - it is hard to describe I think and the 1st level support people aren't very technically trained, so the issue needs to redirected to technical support somehow, or to a case manager?  The issue is complicated by the fact that it is actually not affecting the use of devices as telephones, it is affecting the use of the handsets to control a third party system (gate controller)...  I imagine the gate system maintainer is, rightly or wrongly, pointing to Telstra services as the cause? but would still hold some responsibility for a non functioning facility in the complex?

Stevo 52
Raches69

Yes, the only one with a diversion, to my knowledge.

Also, I don't have the time to contact the different residents to get the makes and models of their phones and routers. I'm already doing more than I am required to do. Sorry - not being narky, just stating facts.

We maintain the gate controller. The SIM and settings have not changed, and it is working for others, so we haven't gone back to the company that installed it.

A few people that have reported this problem asked us to reprogramme the front gate so that it calls their mobile rather than their Telstra landline, and now they are able to let people in from that device. However, not everybody wants to do this. Stuck!!

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Ignoring the fact that the * key should work from the landlines, I'm wondering why the gate system was altered from standard settings (I wasn't actually aware that it could for the Gate commands, it's not mentioned in any of the manuals)? Those AEC Multicom units have 1 (primary relay) or 4 (secondary relay) as the Gate Open command in the default settings. I've worked on a number of sites that use those units and they've all operated the same way.

The * button would normally only be used as the access code confirmation button on the keypad on the gate panel.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Raches69

We were here when the Multicom system was installed - it has always used the star button from day one.

SteveW_52

Even more difficult for me, I am just a member of the CrowdSupport forum and not experiencing the actual problem, so I am unable to do anything formally..  can only offer suggestions and try and help out..

All you could do is print up a 'flyer' detailing the issue and what information might be needed when they report the issue (individually) to Telstra?

Stevo 52
Raches69

Steve - just trying to work with Telstra NBN on this one. Where in Australia are you located?

SteveW_52

I am in Brisbane..

Stevo 52
Raches69

OK, thanks!

SteveW_52

I sent you a direct message...

Stevo 52
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Wondering if the occupier of the unit can reset their modem if the phone service is provided via NBN. I have just tested my T-Voice 502 handset which is paired to my Arcadyan LH:1000 modem, making a outgoing call to my mobile phone.  I can hear tones when I press * or other numbers coming through on the handsfree speaker of the mobile phone. If that doesn't assist, maybe a power reset of the Gate Controller.

SteveW_52

When I tried that scenario a few days ago , pressing keys on the 502 just gave a 'click; noise on the mobile, but pressing keys on the mobile gave the correct tones in the 502 earpiece...  and I tried the modem reset.

Update: Just tried it again and it is working correctly

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

@Raches69   the problem seems to be fixed on my modem and home phone device..  so maybe Telstra fixed it?

It could be worth asking the affected residents to restart their modems though, just in case that makes it work..

Stevo 52
tomjc
Level 1: Cadet

Tried resetting NBN box and Telstra Smart Modem and this did not make any difference.  Still no number response when I call my mobile with my NBN Landline phone.  So, I still cannot open our complex's security gate with my landline phone.  I could have this forwarded to my mobile but because we have multiple mobiles in my household, this is not practical.

The only workaround for me now when I receive a call from the gate to my landline is to hang up my landline phone and then use my mobile phone to dial the mobile number associated with our gate to open the gate.  This seems to work ok but is a royal pita.  Hopefully Telstra will address this issue soon.

damirski

Hello all

I have this same problem I can no longer open the security gate using my landline.  This was working then stopped a few months ago.  I have done all the usual things, contacted the estate mangers, restarted the NBN NCD and modem.  Mobile phones can open the gate but this is not a good solution for my household.

I called Telstra and gave a lengthy explanation after 30 minutes they just told me to restart my modem again and if that didn't fix it they didn't want to know about it.

I found this thread  on TPG website. It looks like TPG customers also have this issue and in some instances at least have fixed it Dialling extra digits over Voip - TPG Community

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit