Level 6: Bloodhound

hand set

Due to sight and age, I purchased through Telstra A Telstra Easy Control Desktop phone Model Tec-D

The phone I have originally from Telstra when I purchased the NBN package works fine but I thought I could simply unplug it from the modem and input the new one.

WRONG

I get messaged requesting log on and urgent messages about reconnecting wyfi etc.

Have disconnected it, inserted the old one and await some help please

Kind regards

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 21: Augmented

Re: hand set

Where are you connecting the cable from your new Easy Control Tec D handset to? The same place the old device was? What colour is the port you are using and what is the old device?

The new handset doesn't any wi-fi connectivity and doesn't need anything other than a phone port, as far as I know.. 

the new handset is this one: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TEC-D-QSG.pdf  ???

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

This handset, does use Wi-Fi though..

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TSH-D-QSG.pdf

The device model names are not dissimilar, but different technology..  can you confirm which you have?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The phone gets plugged into the Green Phone port of the modem. It sounds like you have unplugged the modem from the wall socket by mistake.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

@Jupiter  in his original post he says he unplugged the phone from the modem...  but, it is all a bit confusing..

Stevo 52

HI, Thankyou for your reply.

All I did was remove the old phone line FROM the modem and replaced the new one

Regards

HI, I merely substituted one phone for another IN THE MODEM

REgards

That was how I read it..  but the symptoms are odd..

Did you check the new phone make and model details as per my other posts? The phone you say you have, doesn't have any Wi-Fi functionality so I am wondering where you are seeing that..  whereas the other link refers to the Telstra TSH-D deskphone which does have Wi-Fi..  can you confirm which one you actually have?

Stevo 52

Hi, Thanks for your reply

The model number on the phone and paperwork all say Model TEC-D Telstra Easy Control Desktop Phone

Regards

Hi, DSL WHITE From the Wall TO the modem

OK. That device should be as simple to setup as you have tried to do..  it just plugs in to the green telephone port..

Where are you seeing the messages about Wi-Fi? On the handset display? The messages might be to do with DECT pairing through the modem, but I honestly wouldn't expect that handset to be able to display those messages...

Ignoring those messages, do you get dial tone on the handset when it is plugged in?

Stevo 52

OK, so the white cable goes from the wall to the DSL port (grey probably) on the modem..  but you aren't moving that one?  What port (name and colour) are you plugging the handset into? 

Also, could you please have a look at the label on the bottom of the modem and let us know the Make and Model of the modem..  so we are all on the same page and giving the correct advice to you about connections?

The handset for the manual only makes mention of plugging the cable from the handset into the wall socket...  that is what you SHOULD NOT DO! because that is your NBN DSL service by the sounds of it, and is needed by the modem..  your handset should only need to be connected to the TEL/Phone port on the modem - which I thought was what you were doing. I am wondering if that handset is compatible with the modem telephone port - it should be but there is no confirmation of that in the documentation.

Stevo 52

Thanks for your assistance, I had it plugged into the wall socket????? All ok and again thanks. 

The instructions with the phone are very limited.

Thanks for the update, it had to be something simple, the phone is quite basic..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit