Level 2: Rookie

Home phone dropping out

Hi,

I am constantly having the home phone dropping out during calls, you know it is going to happen because there is a noise on the line before it drops out. The phone connected is a panasonic cordless. This problem has only been happening for the last 3 weeks. When i have a look at the logs from the TELSTRA router (new one with 4G backup) at the same time or just before the call is lost there is packets lost in the logs, also the 4G is not cutting in. We have been on the NBN for 3 years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Home phone dropping out

It takes about three and a half minutes for loss off connection and modem to switch to 4G backup. If its only a short break the modem will not have time to switch to 4G backup. To test that 4G backup is working disconnect WAN or DSL port for about 5 minutes. If 4G  backup is working modem will switch to 4G backup.

From your description it sounds like a intermittent line fault.

What type of NBN connection do you have (FTTN, FTTB, HFC, or Fixed radio)?

What is the model of the modem (DJN2130, DJA0230, DJA0231 or LH1000).

Fibre to the premises, LH1000.

It is unusual to have an intermittent fault with a FTTP connection. One thing you could do is to download the ping plotter tool and run a test. This will indicate where the packets are being lost. Also check that you have the latest firmware version on the LH1000 (0.12.09r). Firmware version is displayed on left hand side of modem's login screen.

Yes that is the firmware number I have.

Getting the following errors when the phone drops out 

26.10.2020 12:38:01 [VoIP] SIP telephony error: number +6124729XXXX failed: Reason: 480.
26.10.2020 12:38:25 [VoIP] SIP telephony error: number +6124729XXXXfailed: Reason: 486.
26.10.2020 12:39:10 [VoIP] SIP telephony error: number +6124729XXXXfailed: Reason: 480.

Have you reported a fault? It is either a fault with the modem or the internet connection. THe only thing you could try is factory resetting the modem by pressing reset button on the back if the modem near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds.

If that doesn't fix fault will need to contact support. You can contact support by using the messaging function in the get help function section of the My Telstra app. You will need to be patient as in my experience it could take several attempts before you reach some one who understands the problem and is will to do something to fix the problem. 

Just to eliminate the phone being the problem suggest you try another phone. Before Telstra support does anything they will probably insist you try another phone.

Also noticed in the log every 10secs, 27.10.2020 19:16:45 health check case (SIP LOG)
27.10.2020 19:16:55 health check [ThorGW] init or restart
27.10.2020 19:16:55 health check detect case (ThorGW)

Along the way telstra put a check on the line when i had a faulty modem before getting this one, could this be the check still running?

There is a bug in the latest software that causes those events but apart from filling up the logs it does not seem to be causing any other problems.

Hi 

Thanks for your assistance, have been chatting to support, they have identified the network is dropping out, they asked for the modem to be restarted and is now not failing the voice registration test. They suggest the problem is the NBN network. 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit