Level 2: Rookie

How do I get Telstra to fix an Intermittent fault?

Noise comes and goes on my fixed line.

Problem first noticed 10/11/13.

Isolation tests showed problem persisted and no faulty connected equipment detected.

Changed filter on main phone but problem returned so reported.

Noisy line returned again between 0852 and 0853 this morning, 24/12/13 after being absent since 19/12/13.
Both calls from me on mobile service from Ballina Mall. First OK, second noise back.
Service call advice from M. Anderson on 19/12/13 2:30pm was
'LINE IS GOOD TO PIT OUTFRONT
ACCESS TO PREM REQUIRED TO FIX'
We were all away. No prior advice of attendance received. Fault had gone on return home.
Before report made fault was intermittent.
Internet service working at all times.

Can call number but can't hear caller over the noise.

T-Hub report when fault experienced is that Call Number Display not activated.

Help (in Philippines called from mobile) - MJ - of no help - would not listen - I wanted email to confirm but none received.
Non-Australian foreigners taking an Australians' jobs are not prepared to engage in discussion and apparently do not understand what I was saying.
Would not record advice fault was intermittent, ADSL Internet working while noise persisted, $50 refund requested, and CND reporting as not working and kept going back to advice on 19/12/13 line was good. (It was at that time and re-occurred this morning after 0852 call and before 0853 call.)
Could not advise a service call time.

Phone method of fault reporting to exploited foreign Telstra employees is a waste of time. Online reporting does not allow comment.

There is a major linear construction site between me and the exchange kiosk at Newrybar. It is the Pacific Highway upgrade and considerable bulk earthworks have been undertaken.

I am a long-standing domestic Telstra customer. (20 years on this site and 30 more years before this.) My line is generally adequate but the Internet is often down and congested.

Owner of several OQOe2 UMPCs equipped with SIM slots.
3 have pre-paid Telstra iPad microSIMs in holders for HSDPA use.
Causes Telstra staff no end of confusion.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How do I get Telstra to fix an Intermittent fault?

Heya OQOroger,

This would be rather frustrating I imagine and I do apologise for the any inconvenience that may be caused by the on going intermittent issues.

Naturally it is difficult to resolve a fault when the fault is not taking place. We need to see what's happening when the fault is taking place.

Nevertheless, it appears you have experienced the intermittent problems for some time and I am keen to assist in ensuring we're doing all we can to help resolve the issue, if you'd like, feel free to send me a private message and we'll go from there.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@Renee wrote:

.... it appears you have experienced the intermittent problems for some time and I am keen to assist in ensuring we're doing all we can to help resolve the issue, if you'd like, feel free to send me a private message and we'll go from there...

PM sent promptly ... but 'we' are still going nowhere as no reply received and problem continues.

No single point of contact provided.
Telstra response to date useless.

Intermittent noise line fault present since 13/12/2013 continues to start and stop on the fixed rural home line associated with my Telstra account <snip>
Automated then impersonal foreign call centre support plus The Telstra Team email responses supplied to date are useless. Unsolicited unwanted mobile phone sent. No specific responses ever received to progress status emails to
notifications@online.telstra.com.au
marked important with read request advice.

Also this board is just inadequate, like so much of Telstra support... and MyConnect which I use for bulk emails. Changing access method in mid-use is a recipe for disaster.  I have had long experience with OQO boards and am a Super Moderator on the surviving one. I am also a Super Moderator on an Australian closed board and marvel at the failure to utilise its potential by the Australian Administrators.

And don't tell me to leave and get another provider. My experiences with Optus and Vodaphone indicate to me that they are much worse than Telstra.

Optus is the local provider of my UK Truphone accounts set up to avoid Telstra's then $20,000 charge for 1GB of roaming data and is effectively useless here as an ISP. Vodaphone just cancels any pre-paid account if you don't use it for calls, even though you remain connected, and pockets the outstanding balance.

I have 3 post-paid Telstra mobiles with which I have no problems. I have 3 pre-paid Telstra data accounts with SIMs used on a random basis in my 12 OQOs models 02, e2 and 2+ using all the Windows OSs. Performance in metropolitan areas is excellent and improving in rural areas. Telstra has great technical capabilities ruined by incompetent administrators.
It is just a pity that OQO Inc. has been out of business since 2009.

As a fifth generation, Australian who has lived abroad, I am well aware of Australia's shortcomings but its remoteness has made it a far safer place to live than Europe or the USA.

Moderation: removed account information

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Okay, regarding the assistance that Renee offered were you supplied a reference number or provided with a form to capture details that produced a reference number? I am happy to follow up.

The email notifications@online.telstra.com.au is not a monitored address to my knowledge so you are unlikely to receive a reply.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

@DanK wrote:

Okay, regarding the assistance that Renee offered were you supplied a reference number or provided with a form to capture details that produced a reference number? I am happy to follow up.

No.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

@DanK wrote:

The email notifications@online.telstra.com.au is not a monitored address to my knowledge so you are unlikely to receive a reply.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

That is the very point I am trying to make.

TELSTRA HIDES BEHIND A RAFT OF ANONYMOUS NUMBERS AND SITES THAT DO NOT RESOLVE PROBLEMS.

Whoever set up this total shambles should be dismissed.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I am sorry that you feel that way OQOroger and once again do apologise that you have had this continued issue for an extended period of time Smiley Sad

I have sent you a PM with a link to a form so we can capture your details and assist further with these issues by getting a fault technician assigned to the case and ensure we have this resolved once and for all. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

@DingoDan wrote:

I have sent you a PM with a link to a form so we can capture your details and assist further with these issues by getting a fault technician assigned to the case and ensure we have this resolved once and for all. 

CrowdSupport forum turns out to be just another part of the Telstra Support Problem.
I had hoped to  get some technical help and support from this site not just more Telstra people pointing me to another form to fill in ... and yet another anonymous entity to deal with, with another delay of a week built in.

This problem has been well reported and there is a number which I quote in any advice I have provided. I have been quite honest and transparent in reporting status of problem and when it is no longer present.

Any Telstra employee looking at my posts and with sufficient access to the account data can quickly identify me from my account number 2000 11748 8708.

There is nothing sensitive in the forum Personal Messages sent to me so I don't know why the moderators bothered to use this method of communication but I will not copy them here in deference to usual forum practice. But I will report that the link provided  redirects to another site. It is usual standard moderator practice to check links to ensure they return the site advised.

________________________________________________________________________________________
CrowdSupport changed my login details and notification email address without my permission. Unlike most forums, Community Mailer emails don't provide the text of replies requiring more time to be wasted while another site is accessed. Also it tell me replies from members are moderated out as they are not there when forum accessed.
Forums use non-identifying names so ideas can be discussed without personalities being identified.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
And yes, the problem is still present ... and ADSL internetcommunication is not affected so clear Skype calls are always available to normal phone numbers.
The Telstra help phone number 132200 is not a normal number, just a useful number for Telstra to generate more funds when customers call on their mobiles to report a fault through the automated service which connects to an exploited overseas operator with poor English skills and very limited authority. 02 8302 6100 is actually 132200 but if you send a T-Hub SMS to it, then this SMS is not delivered. Can't send an SMS to a fixed phone you say ... this is not true is the fixed line is attached to a T-Hub but Telstra does not provide its own call centre operators with this facility even though they are no doubt sitting in front of  a screen. They are not apparently provided with call number advice either because they invariably ask for the number one is calling from.

Just after this fault first occurred I happened to spot a Telstra domestic technician while driving from a local indoor pool. I asked him if their was anyone local I could talk to about the problem or whether I had to call a foreigner through the automated service. He confirmed there was no available local technical contact and I would have to use this method or the internet. I took both actions.  He told me I lived outside his area of authority for maintenance.
The local unattended Telstra telephone exchange in on a town block, with unkempt temporary buildings, strings to hold doors open, a poorly maintained pavement and weeds abounding. An absolute disgrace for a former Australian iconic organisation. It is about time some of the highly remunerated Telstra executives got out into the field, saw the consequences of their cost-cutting staff reduction decisions and actually spoke to disaffected customers.

And while I still have posting rights, I should mention how useless the local franchised Telsta stores are. If you have a techical problem they direct you to a phone where you join the useless foreign adviser queue.
If you buy a modem and can't actually get it to work as intended, they absolutely refuse to provide a full refund outside the limited warranty period of 10 days or so. I still have 3 modems bought from Telstra shops which never worked properly despite lots of fiddling about on my part, cost around $1,000 which franchisees refused to refund on the excuse Telstra would not recompense them. It was only with the advent of the iPad which forced Telstra to sell pre-paid data SIMs, that allowed those of us with SIM slots to buy a micro-SIM holder and establish a convenient WWAN internet service with our own modems and connection managers not full of useless Telstra bloat-ware.

Fault due to defective line join

A Telstra linesman arrived unannounced early yesterday morning and quickly found a defective line join which was causing the fault.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

All the Administrative nonsense associated with this fault achieved nothing - not even advice of a visit. Seems a lot of administrative staff, particularly foreigners, just exacerbated the problem. Telstra needs to rid itself of them and put more technical staff in the field.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit