msj61
Level 1: Cadet

How does one report a fault on someone elses home phone service?

My parents, 90 years of age, live on a rural property in Victoria. They only have the one land line phone as there is no mobile coverage in the area. They also do not have internet as they see no value in it. 

Their home (land line still on PSTN I beleive) phone is not working. I cannot contact them. I have tried to report this as a fault but it seems to be impossible.

While trying to report the fault I was told that I have call barring on "my phone" that prevents me from calling them but when I asked how and why and when this happened, it was found not to be the case. In the end they couldn't help me as I was not the owner of the service with the fault. They needed the owner of the service to call them but how do they do this when (1) They may not even know that their phone is not working, (2) the only way they have to contact Telstra is via the phone that is not working?

There has to be a way to report a fault on someone elses phone. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How does one report a fault on someone elses home phone service?

If you call 132203 to report the fault, then the consultant should be able to check the line remotely (by calling it) and put in a request to get it repaired. It should not require the service owner to report the fault, especially if they can't.

It would be a good idea to get yourself added as an authorised contact on your parents account. That way you will be able to deal with any issues on their behalf.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
msj61

Thanks for the response Jupiter and I agree. I should be able to call132203 and report a fault but have you ever actually tried to do it?

1st the automated system wants a number your account is connected with. If you give your number they assume the fault is on your service. Also as I only have a mobile, they route you to the area concerned with mobiles. Now as the fault is with a pstn service I don’t own, I am in the wrong place trying to tell someone who can’t understand me the fault is on someone else’s service and as soon as you do that, they don’t want to proceed as I am not the owner of the service. 
if I call the Telstra number and report the faulty service, I have to identify myself as the account holder which is (1) not appropriate and (2) not always possible. As it is, I know my parents details and yes, I could get myself authorised for their account but what if it was a friends or neighbours service that was faulty. They may not know if they rarely make calls and anyone trying to contact them cannot report the fault. Not everyone has a mobile and/or internet. This is especially true for our older generation and those living remotely. 

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

If you have Authority on the account then you can mention the landline number when reporting a fault.

Jupiter

Yes, I have rung 132203 to report a fault on a service that isn't mine.

It was very easy when I did it.

I gave them my mother-in-law's number, explained to them from the outset that it was her service that the fault was with and they raised an incident number. Was resolved within 48 hours.

As it is a call to get Telstra to investigate the fault, there is no privacy issue in play (as nothing is getting altered on the account and they do not need to give any information about the service to you) and they should just organise the investigation of the service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
msj61

I appreciate your advice. I will ask my parents to arrange authority once they get their service back up and running however that doesn't resolve the problem where you have no relationship to the person whose service is not working. 

msj61

Ok, sounds as though you got a well trained person who could understand the problem and took reasonable action to resolve the issue. Unfortunately this has not been my experience. As previously advised, once I navigated the absolutely hideous recorded help system I either got someone who couldn't understand that I needed to report a fault on someone else's service, not mine, or they told me that they couldn't log a fault because it could incur a cost against the owners account if a tech needed to attend and I wasn't authorised to approve that, or I was talking to someone from NBN and the service concerned was not on their records (not surprising as its a PSTN service) could they transfer me, oh sorry we can't get through, please hold. In the end I finally got a fault logged but it took several phone calls and hours to get a simple fault logged. It shouldn't be this hard. Anyway, it's in hand now and my blood pressure is returning to normal. 

Jupiter

I'm glad to hear that you've managed to get the fault logged. It really should be a simple process but it is pot luck on whether you get someone who understands it.

Dowser

I hope that you achieve resolution and can phone your parents.

You might like to leave feedback for Telstra about your experience. You could include a link to this thread.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit