Level 2: Rookie

How to cancel a telstra landline account after connecting to NBN

I recently connected to the NBN and have ported my phone across. My NBN provider is not Telstra and so I want to cancel the Telstra billing for the Telstra landline phone, how do I do that? If I phone 132200 you get put through automated selection and responses that keep going to installing a App, I cannot fit any more app's onto my mobile phone...why can't I talk to someone or is there another way to do this safely.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to cancel a telstra landline account after connecting to NBN

The porting process should automatically cancel your Telstra service. All you should receive is the final bill.

If this is not what happens, you will need to send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human.

The web based chat service is not working and the phone is only taking critical calls. So the app is basically the only contact method at the moment.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 2: Rookie

I can't fit any more Apps on my mobile phone and I tried Codi to no avail- just keeps redirecting me to the Telstra App.

I had received a Telstra bill (which is not due for payment until 26 October) during the period that I have been getting the NBN connection. That bill though includes 1 months advance payment for line rental, which I now don't require. When you say I will receive a final bill do you mean they will reissue the bill I already have. I don't want to be paying for something I will not use.

This only taking critical calls I think is only setting people up for the new Telstra post-covid normal.

Unfortunately it's going to take Telstra another 18 months to onshore all their call centres. It takes time to hire and train that many people.

I would be assuming that the bill was issued prior to the porting taking place. I'm not sure that the current billing system would reissue the bill. I'm pretty sure that you would just get a new one for the next billing period, so if you paid the current one in full, you would receive another one that would be in credit by the amount that you would effectively overpaid.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit