Level 1: Cadet

How to I check how many lines run to a property?

I just bought an investment property with two houses on the same block. How do I check if there are different lines to each house? In the main house there are also ports labelled "phone" and "modem", so it's possible there are 3 lines to the house. How do I check?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to I check how many lines run to a property?

Usually if there are ports labelled phone and modem, that is a hangover from ADSL and there is a central splitter installed (still a single line).

A Dial-before-you-dig request will usually tell you how many connections at a pit have been connected to a property.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

It is likely there is only one phone line to the house with two phone ports one labeled modem and the other phone and has a inbuilt ADSL filter splitter between the two phone ports.

If the phone line is active you can plug a phone into the phone port and dial 1272 2123 to see what number was previously used and if there are separate numbers. The only other way is to contact Telstra.

Thanks! I assume the same, but there are 2 houses on the same block and I'm more curious whether the houses each have their own line. Contacting Telstra is basically impossible. After a lengthy, painful and drawn out chat using the app, I'm getting told that NBNCo now own the lines, but there doesn't appear to be a way to contact them either, as they want to send me back to a provider. Given there isn't currently a provider, this is not helpful either. 

Great suggestion! I lodged a request and the response from Telstra is that I need an account with them for invoicing purposes before they'll tell me anything, and it'll cost me $120 to get a picture sent to me of where the connection is (which I already know as it's an overhead connection). There's no guarantee that for this $120 they'll even tell me the answer to how many lines are connected. Facepalm. 

Do the two house have different postal addresses? If they do you can enter there address on the NBN site. If they both show NBN available then there should be two separate phone lines.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit