Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

How to increase number of rings on landline incoming call - messages OFF

Recently the landline gives three rings and then our incoming calls stops - our callers cannot leave a message we do not have message bank do not want message bank, but DO WANT TO HAVE more rings and MUCH LONGER TIME FOR US ELDERLY CITIZENS TO GET TO THE PHONE.

telstra agency were unable or unwilling to resolve this for us but we still have to pay the same monthly NBN internet and landline bill.  Who can resolve this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Re: How to increase number of rings on landline incoming call - messages OFF

Hi - do incoming callers get directed to any message service or end up with silence? Not sure if your telephone is provided on a traditional landline service or via the NBN. If you have recently migrated to NBN, you may have still have Message Bank activated as Default in background. I asked Telstra to remove it from my NBN service as I have an answering machine also did the (#99# cancel function code)  but it is still there. I get a Message Wait icon on the cordless phone for callers who encountered a busy signal when I am on the phone which is OK by me - doesn't happen often. The default ring before diversion to Message Bank time is 20 seconds which can be set from 5 to 55 seconds - per attached PDF. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/support/pdf/home-phone/home-phone-user-guide-c0...

For services that have no Message Bank, incoming calls generally will ring 90 seconds before auto disconnection. You may have to contact Telstra to get them to verify that Message Bank is turned off properly. 

Highlighted

Hello Mrktich, 

Landline via NBN unfortunately!  Personal callers tell us a few rings then nothing, guess messagebank snuck in with NBN unknown to us (need internet as well, but 3 rings only started recently) before that we could get to the phone; have already tried all suggestions in your PDF so guess a long long wait in a Telstra queue is the only other option.

• many thanks for your extensive and informative response.
Highlighted

Hello again Mkrtich

Followed your suggestion to turn off Messagebank and 101, received reply from Telstra this has been performed; noting reply to that email if further assistance was needed. Still only a few rings before an incoming call stopped. Reply to the email bounced back twice.

Then I discovered a dedicated Telstra employee (I will not name her but she deserves bonuses).  Yesterday she persevered even after Platinum,?whoever that is, told her it had been sorted, but still only 3 seconds before her test call stopped.  Eventually, after further enquiry and adjustments or whatever by her, our incoming calls now continue ringing for over 92 seconds, giving us oldies amply time to safely get to the phone and answer a caller.

Your help and her understanding of our predicament warrant avcknowledgement.

THANK YOU BOTH, more than can really be expressed.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

@graygran wrote:

Recently the landline gives three rings and then our incoming calls stops - our callers cannot leave a message we do not have message bank do not want message bank, but DO WANT TO HAVE more rings and MUCH LONGER TIME FOR US ELDERLY CITIZENS TO GET TO THE PHONE.

telstra agency were unable or unwilling to resolve this for us but we still have to pay the same monthly NBN internet and landline bill.  Who can resolve this?

@graygran wrote:

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit