END24
Level 1: Cadet

How to report NBN fixed line fault - urgent requirement as emergency service for elderly is attached

Answered

I have an elderly Aunt who lives alone and has an emergency help line attached to the service. There was a Telstra outage two days ago due to a storm and despite receiving SMS messages to say the service has been restored, it has not.

I have rebooted the NBN and Telstra modem at least six times to no avail. The NBN unit has NO lights, not even a green power light. All cables have been unplugged and replugged.

I have run the online troubleshooter and it confirms there is no service.

I have also done the following:

1. Rung Telstra but after 1 1/2 hours of being on hold, I hung up.

2. Spent about 5 hours on the Online Chat only to be told at the end, they could not help. They confirmed the service was down. They said to ring 13 22 00, but it is closed until Monday.

How can I report this and have a technician (probably an NBN technical) urgently get this service up again. My Aunt often needs to use the Emergency Help Service, so it is critical this is working.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AmberSC
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: How to report NBN fixed line fault - urgent requirement as emergency service for elderly is a...

Hi there, can just confirm if your aunt is already part of or aware of our priority assistance program at all? More information on this program and eligibility here: https://tel.st/phmxu online. if you're still needing a hand I would recommend calling on 132200 and when asked what the call is about say 'priority assistance'. This will connect you through to a team able to help, you can quote the troubleshooter reference number so our technicians can follow this up for you. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
AmberSC
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: How to report NBN fixed line fault - urgent requirement as emergency service for elderly is a...

Hi there, can just confirm if your aunt is already part of or aware of our priority assistance program at all? More information on this program and eligibility here: https://tel.st/phmxu online. if you're still needing a hand I would recommend calling on 132200 and when asked what the call is about say 'priority assistance'. This will connect you through to a team able to help, you can quote the troubleshooter reference number so our technicians can follow this up for you. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

END24
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Current status:

1. My Aunt already has an Emergency Phone (has for many years) which I assume is part of the priority assistance program, although, I can not find any reference to this, either on her invoice or via her account on the online myservices site. Should this be highlighted anywhere in her account details so I can confirm she is registered as a Priority Assist customer?

2. I have since found a user manual online for the Emergency Service phone which stated that this service has a mobile backup in case the landline link goes down. I have tested this backup with the emergency service providers and her Emergency Service is working.

3. Previous to posting on CrowdSupport, I called into a Telstra Shop to report the fault - about eight days ago. The fault was logged and specifically mentioned the urgency due to the Emergency Service and specifically mentioned the NBN modem had died. I was also nominated as the contact person (under power of attorney) for the fault.

4. Prior to reading your reply, I called into the Telstra Shop again (five days ago). They confirmed/advised:

i. I am the nominated contact person

i. The fault had been registered and a case manager had been assigned

ii. Not to log another call because it would most likely 'reset' the original call and start the whole process again from scratch

5. The NBN is still down and my Aunt still does not have a landline (stating the obvious if the NBN modem does not work). I have not received any contact (SMS or phone call) to advise the status.

So, I have three questions please:

i.  How do I confirm she is a registered 'Priority Assist' customer (if I can't confirm it, do I fill out the registration form online with a Doctor's Certificate?)

ii.  Re the existing fault report (via the Telstra Shop), do I simply wait to be contacted by the case manager?, or

iii. Do I ring 132200 as you suggest and risk cancelling the existing fault report, and restarting the process?

Once again, many thanks for your help.

ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

My understanding is the account is marked on our end as priority assist, you can call the number AmberSC suggested if you'd like us to confirm or if you want to apply on behalf of your mum, you can do that through the link she provided. With home phone faults, it's best to ring 132203. My understanding is we're prioritising Medical Priority Assist enquiries, as well as high risk cases. If there's an outage impacting the area, we'd be doing everything we can to have it fixed as soon as possible but interim solutions are usually offer to priority assist customers. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit