Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Incoming caller ID no longer working on landline since installing new NBN modem (second one)

I have had incoming Caller ID on my landline for many years, but since installing my second Telstra Modem (the internet kept dropping out on the first one) a few days ago, I no longer get incoming caller ID on my landline.  It says Unavailable, Unknown Number. I contacted Telstra via online chat, and Victor said he would turn it back on but to wait 3 hours and then turn off the modem and turn it back on.  This hasn't worked. I need this feature as I get many nuisance calls, and don't answer the phone if I don't know who is calling.  Help!!!

Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is yRe: Incoming caller ID no longer working on landline since installing new NBN modem (second one)

Is your new modem a Technicolor modem (DJA0231)? I have noticed the same thing with my modem. I think it is a firmware fault in the modem.

Highlighted

Re: Is yRe: Incoming caller ID no longer working on landline since installing new NBN modem (second

Hi cf4, Thanks for your prompt reply. Both of the modems are DJA0231.  The old one worked fine except that the internet kept dropping out.  Now this new one is OK (so far, it's only been a few days) internet wise, but no incoming caller ID.  Haven't returned the old one yet - might reconnect it and see if the ICID works on it.  At least then I'll know if it's the modem.  Fed up with all this messing around.....

Highlighted

Re: Is yRe: Incoming caller ID no longer working on landline since installing new NBN modem (second

i cf4, Used the "new" modem all day yesterday, and it too dropped out a couple of times.  This morning I reconnected the "old" (first) modem, and guess what - I now have caller ID back.  So it IS a problem with the modem.  Maybe you should try a new modem also.  Anyway, will get to the bottom of it all (I hope) and maybe need a Telstra tech to sort out the intermittent internet dropping out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Incoming caller ID no longer working on landline since installing new NBN modem (second one)

I've been trying to troubleshoot the same problem for my elderly neighbours. They have had their modem replaced with a Technicolor DJA0231 and since then their caller ID has stopped working.

If you go into the telephony settings on the modem and look at the call log it registers all the calls but isn't registering any associated incoming numbers. It displays them as "Unavailable".

I just wanted to share, to back up your experience. Hopefully Telstra can come up with a fix for this soon!

Highlighted

Re: Incoming caller ID no longer working on landline since installing new NBN modem (second one)

Hi thereallos,  Thanks for your input.  May I suggest that your neighbours get another modems from Telstra until they get one that gives them Incoming Caller ID.  Incoming Caller ID is in the fine print and is part of their contract. 

I took my second modem back to Telstra on Monday, and Telstra is aware of the problem with the firmware on SOME of their modems (all seem to be DJA0231).  Apparently not all of them have it. I reconnected my first modem, so I have ICID again.  One out of two problems solved.

My internet dropout problem has been referred further up the food chain, and I've been told I should receive a response within a week.  Wish me luck..........   

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I understand it is the firmware. My new Technicolor modem DJA0231 from Telstra has lost the caller ID (display).

My firmware version is 18.1.c.0543-950-RA and I understand there is a later version which Telstra tech people promised to update. You cannot download the firmware and they will do it via their servers. 1-2 days they said.

It is a known issue but they keep selling the product.

Highlighted

@Mikey99 wrote:

I understand it is the firmware. My new Technicolor modem DJA0231 from Telstra has lost the caller ID (display).

My firmware version is 18.1.c.0543-950-RA and I understand there is a later version which Telstra tech people promised to update. You cannot download the firmware and they will do it via their servers. 1-2 days they said.

It is a known issue but they keep selling the product.

Highlighted

I have the same problem.  I have a new modem DJA0231 as old damaged in storm a couple of weeks ago, and had no Internet or home phone.  Everything working now except for no caller ID display.  Have called Telstra many times, but they have not been able to fix the problem.  I even bought a new Guardian 301 phone as thought that maybe the problem, but still no caller ID display.

Highlighted

Is the caller number displayed in the modem's call log (Advanced > Telephony > Call Log > Remote No). If there is no call number on incoming calls then it is not the phone.

Highlighted

I don't know about modem's call log, don't know how to see that.  No ID number on incoming calls on home phone.  It shows the outgoing numbers that I phone.

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,  An update, if you can call it that.  I'm still using the original modem which gives me Incoming Caller ID.  Internet is still dropping out intermittently at random times of the day or night.  Problem was SUPPOSED to have been escalated.........   I have heard nothing from Telstra.  Have had a couple of the "usual" SMS on my mobile telling me how good Telstra is, and what they're doing re 5G etc.  Have tried to call but no luck.  Looks like another visit to my "helper" at the Telstra store who has passed this problem to her manager...  

By the way, I have FTTC.  There are 4 villas attached - me with Telstra NBN, one neighbour uses her mobile as a hot spot so doesn't have NBN.  Another works from home and is very happy with TPG, the other has NBN for her Telstra landline, but isn't connected to the internet. Don't know the connection status of anyone else in the complex.

Will post again if I have any more news.  I may have to investigate other providers, although if it is a "line" problem, they'll probably all be the same??.

Highlighted

Has your ID problem been fixed yet?

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Please see my experience under "Lost Caller ID after NBN modem upgrade" in this forum. Caller ID was restored by Telstra (apparently easily) after I escalated the problem to a formal complaint.

Highlighted

What is the link or number to make a formal complaint.

Highlighted

Highlighted

Hi do you think it is worth a chat online first, could take a few days lol.

My elderly mother got the new smart modern sent to her and installed and has lost caller ID on her phones. She had caller id before older modern switch with her phones previously. They are not Telstra gateway phones.

Would we just ask for a firmware update to be sent to them modern to fix the issue?

We were about to buy new phones lol

Highlighted

As per my forum thread "Lost Caller ID after NBN modem upgrade", I first consulted CrowdSupport [Special thanks to cf4], then tried online chat.  I believe the lost Caller ID problem could have been easily fixed via online chat, but for some unknown reason, Telstra did not follow through with my service request.  I consider I always had grounds for complaint, having taken up Telstra's offer of a modem which did not deliver the Caller ID service that I was paying Telstra for.  However, I would still recommend trying online chat first - although my subsequent online complaint was ultimately effective, it took a week for Telstra to contact me about it.  I don't believe a firmware update was necessary.  (My firmware version number has not changed.)  I believe only an easy change by Telstra to my 'backroom' account settings was required.

Highlighted

Definitely Telstra normal support should be contacted first and then make a formal complaint. As can be seen from many post on this issue people have contacted normal support and they have not fixed the problem. @Rob212  has already contacted normal support several times. See this post. It is not a modem problem but somehow changing modem's has corrupted the programing of the phone service on Telstra's server. The Telstra support consultant should be able to fix the fault, without having to reboot modem by reprograming the phone service.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-phones/incoming-caller-id-no-longer-working-on-landline-...

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit