Level 4: Private Eye

Incoming caller ID stopped working

A few days ago I lost my home phone and internet but all lights green on modem. Power off, pause, power back on restored internet but no phone.

Modem (Arcadyan LH1000) showed phone disabled. A factory reset sorted that out, none of the phone edit functions worked in "ADVANCED", "TELEPHONY" page.

Since then my phone (Uniden DECT 1635 [DECT 6.0]) only shows "Unknown Number" for incoming calls, even ones which showed just prior.

I have reset the phone, checked my BigPond account to see if any user settings, reset my network, rebooted etc. etc. but still not showing incoming call numbers. Can't find anything about it in the modem help file or the unofficial LH1000 manual here.

Looking for suggestions on what to do next. Is this an issue I need to refer to Telstra to raise a case?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Incoming caller ID stopped working

But you are receiving incoming calls and you can make outgoing calls?

In the modem settings, under Telephony, is your phone registered with the correct number showing and VoIP selected (probably greyed out)?

And in the call log, are all the number unknown?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 24: Supreme Being

Check the modem's call log (Go to Advanced > Telephony > Call Log > Number Name). If there is no number there on incoming calls will need to contact Telstra support and lodge a fault that incoming caller ID is not working

Yes can make and receive calls. Correct number is shown, VOIP is selected and greyed out.

In the call log name and number are both shown as "Unavailable". Status and reason are shown as "VoIP FAIL,
INCOMING_MISS".

Level 21: Augmented

So on the calls that say Voip Fail/Incoming_miss, did you answer and talk on those calls?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

My answer to and your comment seems to indicate I need to lodge a fault.

That is a pain, from past experience Telstra wastes a lot of time blaming the customer and not seriously investigating without a long time tooing and froing!

@cf4 wrote:

Check the modem's call log (Go to Advanced > Telephony > Call Log > Number Name). If there is no number there on incoming calls will need to contact Telstra support and lodge a fault that incoming caller ID is not working

The VOIP Fail Incoming miss is normal for an incoming call that wasn't answered.

I had the same problem. Contacted Telstra a lodge a fault that incoming caller ID on my landline was not working. That is the only information I gave. The total process including the wait took three hours but at the end of the process incoming caller id was working. If they try to blame your phone point out that the log in the modem shows no caller ID. Be firm but polite. 

Went to support page, selected the appropriate options which opened a message/chat box. 48 minutes later advised it has been resolved and will be working within 24 hours. So fingers crossed.

Importantly I was given a reference number (hopefully not needed but good to have just in case).

Thank you for your assistance cf4 and SteveW_52.

Jeff

42 hours later still not working so reported it again, quoting my reference number.

After a few hours with the message "Thanks for waiting, we've got your message. We’re currently experiencing significant delays in being able to respond to your message. We’ll respond as soon we can. If you have your notifications turned on we’ll let you know once we’ve replied, so there’s no need to keep the app open." in the chat box someone responded.

Eventually advise that "I've already activated the caller ID again and it'll be working in
few hours." "Yes, within 2-4hours the services will be active. Please try to check the services after 4hours and let
us know the services are working or not. We're available 24*7."

Nearly 5 hours later I thought I best take up the invitation to let them know not working still. Now looking at a message box with the same "significant delays" message.

Is there anyway to contact them with my case reference number and get quicker attention? Or is there a way to escalate the case to a higher level?

It is very frustrating and time wasting.

The only way to escalate is to lodge a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

This time it was 1h, 27m and the person on the other end seemed to be interested in actually finding out exactly what the symptoms were rather than picking up on the keywords "caller ID" and following a time wasting script.

She/he (nor sure) said made some adjustments, please reset phone and modem and see if it worked.

Also asked for and waited for me to make test calls to be sure.

Looks like an element of "luck of the draw" with who you get connected to.

Is incoming CLID working now? It does seem that some consultants are a lot better than others.

Working fine now calling from my mobile phone. Awaiting a call from someone else to be sure but optimistic.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit