Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Incoming Caller ID

Incoming caller ID on the home landline has suddently stopped working and it has been working for many years. It just shows up as "Anonymous" for all incoming calls. My poor elderly mum is going crazy as she can't screen who is calling and keeps getting unsolicitated marketing calls. Have been on the phone to Telstra twice today, waiting for at least a couple of hour each time. First time, it was to be told that the caller id was activated on the line so it must be that the callers have turned off caller id on their side. Contacted several friends and family members who normally call and they have not done this. Second call to them resulted in being transferred to technical department who never answered and I hung up after 100 minutes of waiting. Anyone has any solutions I can try on a Uniden Xdect 8155 series phone connected to NBN?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Incoming Caller ID

Hi - I had a similar problem when I was upgraded to NBN on my Panasonic Cordless System. Contacted Telstra and they reprogrammed CLID back into their network setting, then advised me to turn off the Telstra Modem, wait 2 minutes and then power it back up for their network setting to take effect in the modem. That worked OK for me.

It could be a difference between brands, but when I had no CLID after conversion from Telstra HFC cable, my phone screen displayed "No Caller ID", not "Anonymous". On page 46 of the Uniden 8155 manual, the troubleshooting suggestion states, after you have verified the carrier has enabled the service, "Let calls ring twice before answering" - assume it means for the current incoming call. Hope the modem reboot fixes the problem and wouldn't hurt to do the same with the Uniden as well. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks. Telstra confirmed that CLID is on. Tried your suggestion,unplugged connections to modem and powered off NBN including removing battery but no luck. Will try Telstra technical again. Phone is working fine otherwise so am reluctant to purchase new one.

Highlighted

Just a few thoughts -  some people prefer not to send their Caller ID on their outgoing calls and  'Anonymous' would show up for these limited calls only, so unexpected that all incoming calls to your landline display this, especially after Telstra verified CLID is Enabled and you have powered down the Telstra Modem after they checked.

In case there is a software conflict in the cordless system, when you turn off the base station and remove the battery from the phone, can you try not to re-connect both Uniden units for approximately 10 minutes to allow the internal capacitors that maintain temporary memory to discharge and reconnect back again to see if it makes any difference. If no success, maybe try to Deregister the handset, then Re-register it back to the base station station.  

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit