Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

land line harsh buzzing sound no dial tone

Answered

as in title, my land line from the telstra smart modem  technicolour DJA0232 router
is emitting a loud harsh constant tone buzz, no dial tone and the activity LED does not change colour when handset is lifted/activated.
cycling the power had no effect
tested on an old 90's era stock telstra phone and 2 different wireless home phones.

I tried through a phone call to support that sent me an SMS with a web address that said there was a line fault that would be fixed by 20:00 yesterday, 
clearly that did not eventuate even though a second txt was sent proclaiming he issue was fixed.

I have tried the telstra app but could not get the bot to understand the issue and just went in circles.
tried posting on the telsra facebook page and no reply as yet.
private messages the same and only got a bot response to try the app.
I am about to call the telecommunications ombudsman's office because clearly there is no way to get my line issue fixed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: land line harsh buzzing sound no dial tone

Try factory resetting the modem and then reconnecting the phone. That can sometimes fix the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Just clarifying..

Your phone worked OK previously in the same configuration?

Does your handset (whatever type) connect into the Smart Modem 2 as either:

i. by cable directly to the Green Phone Port?

ii. as a DECT wireless handset (properly registered)?

iii. To a different point?

iv. by cable from the modem to another point (Internal telephone wiring - extension sockets), then the phone connects to that internal wiring?

The cables are properly pushed in and you have tried different cable/s?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Try factory resetting the modem and then reconnecting the phone. That can sometimes fix the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

"Your phone worked OK previously in the same configuration?"
was working the last phone call I received a few days ago.

Does your handset (whatever type) connect into the Smart Modem 2 as either:

i. by cable directly to the Green Phone Port?

ii. as a DECT wireless handset (properly registered)?

iii. To a different point?

iv. by cable from the modem to another point (Internal telephone wiring - extension sockets), then the phone connects to that internal wiring?

cable runs from phone to the green I port, and I tried in the green II port as well.
(have tried three different phone units and two different phone cables)

"The cables are properly pushed in and you have tried different cable/s?"
in testing I have made sure there is no corrosion on any pins and have firmly pushed plugs in until "click" and then wiggled to make sure of contact.

Highlighted

Thanks for the additional details, it helps in picturing your set up.

As Jupiter advised, a factory reset might help but before you do that, first you could try power cycling the modem (which won't change any other settings). Remove power, wait a couple of minutes and then power on again and let the modem come up.

Out of interest, what sort of NBN service do you have? and since the phone started playing up, have you had any problems with other devices - not wanting to connect, not working, indicators not showing green etc.?

What I am trying to diagnose here is whether your modem has received and applied a firmware update which might be causing the problem.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

@Jupiter wrote:

I don't know if this model even has the ability to be factor reset, nothing I can find searching the model number and nothing in the web front end either.

Highlighted

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Thanks for the additional details, it helps in picturing your set up.

As Jupiter advised, a factory reset might help but before you do that, first you could try power cycling the modem (which won't change any other settings). Remove power, wait a couple of minutes and then power on again and let the modem come up.

Out of interest, what sort of NBN service do you have? and since the phone started playing up, have you had any problems with other devices - not wanting to connect, not working, indicators not showing green etc.?

What I am trying to diagnose here is whether your modem has received and applied a firmware update which might be causing the problem.

have tried power cycling, all other functions are working including as far as I can see.
as replied to jupiter there is no obvious way I can see to factory reset the unit.
no recessed hidden button no option in the web front end. edit, correction, button found, I am blind, efforting to reset now, well post when it reboots
my service is 
Premium Speed - NBN HFC Technology Type
Inala Queensland

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Reset button is located on back of modem near LAN port 2. Press for at least 10 seconds.

Highlighted

Resets can be carried out from the user interace (GUI) at 192.168.0.1 <- enter this into the address bar of your browser the login using admin as username and Telsra as password. The modem settings can all be managed from that GUI, the activity log viewed and other things viewed.

If you are not comfortable delving into the settings (many aren't), there is a recessed push button on the back panel.. 

But as I said, I would just try a power cycle first, before a factory reset.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

factory reset has been a success, I thank you both for your efforts, time and patience.
a hundred thumbs up.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit