dayhawk
Level 1: Cadet

Land line port request declined by Telstra

Answered

Hi Team,

I have moved from Telstra to TPG, my NBN internet is ported to TPG but land line is not, when I complained to TPG I was told that Telstra is blocking the port request because my account is not active with Telstra. I tried to contact Telstra but informed that there is no error on Telstra side. 

When I complained to TIO against TPG I got the written response from TPG that Telstra declined the port request. Again contacting Telstra the Telstra response was that they have closed my account and its between NBN and TPG so they can't do anything about it.

Any pointers please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Land line port request declined by Telstra

OK. That makes it quite simple to figure out what has gone on.

When porting, you request a service with a new provider, they submit the porting request to your existing provider and as part of the porting process, that triggers the cancellation of your account with the existing provider.

What you have done is effectively asked TPG to port something that doesn't exist as you cancelled the existing service. The internet went through fine as all that requires is for TPG to get NBN Co to apply the codes. The phone number couldn't be ported as it was no longer under your name as you cancelled the service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter

Did you ask Telstra to cancel your service with them, or did you organise everything through TPG?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
dayhawk

I asked Telstra to cancel my services because I signed with them a week before and their internet speed was low and they said they can not provide similar to TPG and offer to cancel my service which I accepted. In the mean time I asked TPG to connect my services (internet as well as phone) so I was connected without interruptions on the spot. Next day found out that I do not have incoming facility on my phone but i can dial out.  

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

OK. That makes it quite simple to figure out what has gone on.

When porting, you request a service with a new provider, they submit the porting request to your existing provider and as part of the porting process, that triggers the cancellation of your account with the existing provider.

What you have done is effectively asked TPG to port something that doesn't exist as you cancelled the existing service. The internet went through fine as all that requires is for TPG to get NBN Co to apply the codes. The phone number couldn't be ported as it was no longer under your name as you cancelled the service.

View solution in original post

dayhawk

So what is the solution to get back my phone number working, As I can dial out (caller id shows that this is the same number) 

Jupiter

It's a difficult one. TPG shouldn't have applied that number in their system as the port was rejected. They should have given you a temporary number out of their numbering allocation.

The only way for you to get access to the number is to re-sign with Telstra and request that number. You would then need to put a port request in with TPG to port it across.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit