Fuschia
Level 1: Cadet

Landline & Connection to the NBN

Answered

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone in the community can provide a clearer answer than I received over the phone from Telstra.

This is a landline only household (UNIDEN XDECT 8155+2) which has no need of the internet.  We are on the 'connect to the NBN network today' count down with Oct 2021 being the disconnect date.  Our 'Ultimate Voice Plan' at $55 per month is available on the NBN network.

From an NBN perspective, we are FTTN.  It is a simple question - in connecting to the NBN network, do we need a Telstra Smart Modem in order to retain our landline?

•  appreciating that under these circumstances our XDECT 'main' unit would be plugging into the phone jack on the Telstra Smart Modem; and
  • the Telstra Smart Modem would be plugging into the existing wall socket.

We do not need the internet.  Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Landline & Connection to the NBN

You should be able to keep your own number when transferring to NBN. A NBN technician might be required but with FTTN they don't have to visit your premises but might need to do some work on the street cabling. Your mother being 90 years old should be eligible for professional installation by a Technician at no extra cost 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4

1. To maintain your Telstra landline you will need a Telstra modem.
  2. The Telstra Smart modem would be plugged into the existing phone wall socket
Fuschia

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I thought. 

You can imagine my surprise when I couldn't get such an answer from Telstra via the phone.  I had actually rung to confirm that a Smart Modem was required and how did I proceed as the on-line ordering process assumes that internet (including phone) is the plan for you.  There was no on-line option provided for 'phone only' in an NBN world on the Telstra website - if there was I couldn't find it.  The person on the end of the line was looking at our account, knew the address, knew it was FTTN and perhaps was incredulous that someone didn't need or want the internet.  BTW, the person at this address is my mother who is 90 years old and I was ringing on her behalf.  I was told that I should wait until the very last minute before connecting to the NBN and that there was no need for a Telstra Smart Modem.  I could even keep my same phone number.  At some point, I was told that an NBN technician would be required.  The conversation ended with me being told that I was 'buying the technology' and did I understand that fact.  

I have no idea whether I was talking to someone in an overseas call center or Australian based but at the end of the conversation I was thoroughly confused and wondering how I could have such a 'Telstra' experience.

Once again thank you very much.

cf4
Accepted Solution

You should be able to keep your own number when transferring to NBN. A NBN technician might be required but with FTTN they don't have to visit your premises but might need to do some work on the street cabling. Your mother being 90 years old should be eligible for professional installation by a Technician at no extra cost 

View solution in original post

Fuschia

Once again, thank you very much.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit