Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

landline has dial tone but can't make or receive calls

hi

I recently replaced my Telstra router with a TP-Link AC1600 VR600v version 2 to improve our wifi at home. Everything works fine (all devices connected without issue and performing better) except land line phone doesn't work. Handset is a Panasonic KX-TG 806. Dial tone is present but when I attempt to make a call all I get is a long continuous beep and when I ring the landline number it goes straight to the network voicemail. I have been through all suggested troubleshooting ideas for the phone and router including using another different handset and the problem remains. Any thoughts?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: landline has dial tone but can't make or receive calls

I assume you are on NBN and have the Telstra Modem connected to a LAN port of the TP-Link modem. If this is the case disable SIP ALG in the TP link modem

Advanced > NAT Forwarding > ALG > SIP ALG

Highlighted

yes we're on the NBN but Telstra modem was replaced so longer in use. TP Link modem router is only device now in use.

Highlighted

The VOIP function in the TP Link modem is not compatible with a Telstra Voice service. A Telstra NBN VOIP service will only work using the built in VOIP ATA in the Telstra modem.

Highlighted

That doesn’t sound great. Retailer told me it would work. What is the solution or possible solution?

Highlighted

If you still have your Telstra modem connect its WAN port to a LAN port of the TP Link router with WiFi turned off. Plug phone into Telstra modem. If there is trouble with incoming calls change SIP ALG settings in TP Link router as described in my first post. 

If you don't have your old Telstra modem you could purchase a second hand Telstra modem. I have seen Gen 1 smart modems for as little as $5 and Gen 2 modems for as little as $20. On paper  both of these modem's have better WiFi than the TP link. I have found these modems provide adequate coverage of my premises. What they don't have is a lot of customizeable settings.

Highlighted

getting closer, I can now make outgoing calls on the landline but after changing the SIP ALG settings as per your instructions I'm unable to receive calls on the landline. is there anything else I could try?

Highlighted

Different manufactures interpret SIP ALG settings differently. Try enabling SIP ALG.

Highlighted

no still not working, unable to receive incoming calls.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit