Landline_1a
Level 3: Gumshoe

Landline - keep getting an engaged signal when I try to make a call

Home phone is landline connected to Telstra modem and NBN and is not working properly

I can use internet on iPad pro 10.5”

troubleshooting through Telstra dashboard app shows

- connection to Wifi is good

- connection to internet is good

After turning NBN and Modem off and back on.

- phone has normal dial tone and I can make or receive one call.

- next time I try to make a call instead of a dial tone I get an engaged signal and incoming calls go straight to message bank.  Restarting modem fixes problem until I lift and replace receiver then same problem recurs.

Have connected different handset to Modem - same problem occurs. Has been occurring for last week or so.  Kippa -Ring area QLD.  What is the solution?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Landline - keep getting an engaged signal when I try to make a call

Could try factory resetting the modem

I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
Landline_1a

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I eventually managed to get switched through from 132203 to someone from the NBN.  After some hardware testing he concluded the problem was in  the modem and decided to send out a new one to see if that fixed the problem. However in the mean time I’m prepared to try a factory reset on the modem to see if that fixes the problem if you can give some guidance.  On the side end of the modem under the power light there is a small round hole and under that a small symbol with an R  and two two half-circle arrows pointing in an anti-clockwise direction. Is this hole where the reset button is and do I just press it with the point of a pen, briefly or for more than one second?

343GuiltySpark

The tiny hole with R next to it. Hold it down with a paper clip/pin for a good 10 seconds then release. 

Landline_1a

Thanks for that. Forgot to ask before, do I have to turn power to modem off before I do this or can I do it with power on?

343GuiltySpark

Needs to be done with the modem powered on.

Landline_1a

Tried reset but that did not fix the problem. Still getting dial tone before first call then engaged signal. Phone light on modem is not changing from green to blue when phone Is activated.

Thanks for your suggestion, i was worth a try.

Will wait until new modem turns up and see if that fixes problem.

Landline_1a

Hi,

Since you offered a suggestion on how to fix the above problem, maybe you can offer some advice on how to deal with my next problem.

After reporting the above problem to Telstra I received a text message saying I could track the progress of the problem via https://fix.telstra.com/faulttracker/INC00000000 where 00000000 is an 8-digit number ending in 8.

I went to that website and it opened a Fault Tracker UI Test Page with input fields for Fault ID, Service Path, start button, and a series of 20-30 service type options.  

I entered the fault number with and without the leading alpha characters.

In the Service Path field I entered ‘’Service Type Voice’ as per text message, ‘Voice Call Issue’ also from text, ‘NBN Telstra’ which seems to be the logical voice call path. I selected various service type options from the list below, e.g. Service Type Voice, NBN options and home phone options and pressed ‘start’ and nothing happened.

One suggestion on Crowd Support was to select ‘Help and Support’ from the Telstra 24/7 App - which I have done successfully in the past, however that App has been replaced by MyTelstra which does not appear to have this option. I searched the new App and the Telstra website for ‘Fault Tracker’ and found nothing.

Can the Telstra Fault Tracker be accessed and if so how?

Or is this text message just a bit of outdated useless information?

Landline_1a

Hi,

Since you offered a suggestion on how to fix the above problem, maybe you can offer some advice on how to deal with my next problem.

After reporting the above problem to Telstra I received a text message saying I could track the progress of the problem via https://fix.telstra.com/faulttracker/INC00000000 where 00000000 is an 8-digit number ending in 8.

I went to that website and it opened a Fault Tracker UI Test Page with input fields for Fault ID, Service Path, start button, and a series of 20-30 service type options.  

I entered the fault number with and without the leading alpha characters.

In the Service Path field I entered ‘’Service Type Voice’ as per text message, ‘Voice Call Issue’ also from text, ‘NBN Telstra’ which seems to be the logical voice call path. I selected various service type options from the list below, e.g. Service Type Voice, NBN options and home phone options and pressed ‘start’ and nothing happened.

One suggestion on Crowd Support was to select ‘Help and Support’ from the Telstra 24/7 App - which I have done successfully in the past, however that App has been replaced by MyTelstra which does not appear to have this option. I searched the new App and the Telstra website for ‘Fault Tracker’ and found nothing.

Can the Telstra Fault Tracker be accessed and if so how?

Or is this text message just a bit of outdated useless information?

Landline_1a

Seems that home phone problem where:

- incoming calls did not come to home phone but went directly to message bank, and

- after turning Telstra Gateway modem OFF and ON, the first outgoing call was connected to the called number but was not disconnected when the call was ended (thus the ongoing engaged signal after the call was ended and the need to turn modem OFF at power point to disconnect this call)

was caused by a faulty phone connection within the modem.

New modem has arrived and so far all functions seem to working as they should.

Hopefully this is the end of this problem

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit