Val1207
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Landline not working

Answered

When the rain started, our landline no longer worked.  All the lights on the Telstra Smart Modem are working fine.  We still have the internet/email.  But the telephone line has no dial tone and is completely silent.  Oddly enough, if people ring us, they can hear us but we can't hear them.  I've tried ringing out but can't hear anything.  Just ominous silence.  We think it may be flooding on the line but not sure.  Who should we ring?  Telstra or NBN?  And what if we poke the reset hole on the modem - would that work?  We've been too hesitant to try that one in case we lose everything.  And, surprise surprise, we don't get mobile reception where we live so if we do need to ring for service, we have to walk all the way up the street to get any reception!  Help anyone?!  Cheers Val  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Val1207
Accepted Solution

Re: Landline not working

Mkritch, you are a GENIUS!  Thank you so much for helping a couple of doddery old luddites.  I have to say that this Crowd Support thingie is brilliant.  I spent FOUR hours the other night 'chatting' to someone in the Philippines or wherever they were and got nothing but pre-programmed platitudes.  Also, if we use the mobile (from way up the street!!!) and call the fault line, all they want to know is what lights are working or flashing on the modem, despite several times telling them that we have no mobile reception and are nowhere near the modem.  Go figure!!!!  It is all so very frustrating.  But thanks to guardian angels like you, we can breathe again.  Cheers Valx  

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

If you haven't done so already, try turning OFF the modem, wait 60 seconds and then turn it back ON. The modem re-registers your service to Telstra Voice Server every 10 minutes, so something has gone wrong wit that process if you have no dial tone but can receive incoming calls.  One way calls can indicate transmission packet loss and can occur with Voice Calls over the Internet. The Factory Reset of the modem, with power ON for 10 seconds process you describe, may assist if the power reset doesn't.

Val1207

Thank you muchly Mkrtich.  Most informative.  Will give that a go.  As I said, we were hesitant to touch anything especially with the flood waters spewing out of all the conduits.  Will let you know when we've done it.  Valx

Val1207
Accepted Solution

Mkritch, you are a GENIUS!  Thank you so much for helping a couple of doddery old luddites.  I have to say that this Crowd Support thingie is brilliant.  I spent FOUR hours the other night 'chatting' to someone in the Philippines or wherever they were and got nothing but pre-programmed platitudes.  Also, if we use the mobile (from way up the street!!!) and call the fault line, all they want to know is what lights are working or flashing on the modem, despite several times telling them that we have no mobile reception and are nowhere near the modem.  Go figure!!!!  It is all so very frustrating.  But thanks to guardian angels like you, we can breathe again.  Cheers Valx  

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

Thank you for your kind feedback. 

If you are in a marginal 4G coverage area in your home which necessitates you to go up the street for a signal to make a mobile call AND the NBN network is fully operational, your mobile may have a feature called 'WiFi Calling' - it is usually available on Smart Mobile Phones.

If this feature is activated, the mobile phone can use your modem's WiFi Network to connect telephone calls through your Telstra NBN landline service - works for incoming and outgoing calls and will transparently hand you over from the broadband connection back to 4G if you leave home during a call to drive somewhere and vice versa.  All the best.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/telstra-wifi-calling 

Val1207

Hello again Mk

Hope you're sitting down.  We don't have a Smart mobile phone.  Figured it was a waste of time with no mobile reception.  But when the technician came calling last year during the fires and ensuing floods (what a country we live in!), he told us about that feature.  Thing is, we haven't yet got round to buying a Smart phone because we've lived with our fliptop phone (yep, definitely hope you're sitting down!) for so long now and have got used to it.  Except, of course, when situations like the current one we've just been through happen.  But I'm so glad you told us again about that mobile feature because we now have the whole shebang in writing and can refer to your advice when we do get round to buying a Smart phone.  Thank you heaps yet again.  Valx

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit