Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Landline phone not working

Telstra phone sets. Thomson modem.

Only have a land line phone to receive calls and to have ASDL2. Just noticed today the home phone has no dial tone or active screen. Called from mobile, mobile however house phone didnt ring. Disconnected all phone sockets and switched off the modem and unplugged. Reconnected landline phone but still not working. Reconnected modem and it works fine. I'm thinking the phone line wiring maybe faulty somewhere, I just want to know is it normal for the modem to still work and internet to function dispite the phone not working ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Landline phone not working

my telstra home phone hand set has just died tried to get on to telstra but I have been sent round and round and am at my wits end plug in phone works but not the hand set

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Landline phone not working

Yes there can be faults that only effect the phone that don't effect the internet and there can be faults that only effect internet and not the phone.

For the phone to work it needs DC current from the exchange. There could be a high resistive fault that stops the DC current getting to the phone but does not effect the high frequencies tones of the ADSL signal.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit