Level 1: Cadet

Landline suddenly disconnected to priority assist home (NSW) - mytelstra shows a WA address on Plan?

Four weeks ago, the Red Cross advised us that they were unable to contact my very elderly parents by their landline.  They call each day as part of a vital service to housebound, ill people.  After countless hours, a case manager missing in action and accusations that we have not been home to let technicians in, we have discovered that our phone was disconnected for reasons unknown and is now showing as located in Subiaco, WA.  We live in Wollongong, NSW.  we all now know why the technicians never came - they were sent to Subiaco, 1000s km away to  empty premises.  

No-one will tell us what this all actually means, how or why it could have happened but more importantly when it will be fixed.  

The technician said he had never seen anything like it before. The case manager's supervisor said the same thing and that they will conduct a 'deep investigation' but all we want is the phone back on so we know that 000 can be called in an emergency from the home and that the Red Cross are able to maintain their service to the home.

Has anyone got any insights to help us?  Is this an NBN or Telstra matter or neither.  

Many thanks - I am trying to maintain a calm, objective voice because I don't want to be seen as overwhelmed but we are anything but calm.  It really feels as if there has been a personal data security breach or potential fraud going on as we are currently 6 months in credit on our account and now have an unknown landline service sitting on our account which has led to our own disconnection and loss of a very precious  landline. 

M

PS

Not sure if relevant but before we discovered the incorrect Plan address issue,  the CSOs noticed that they could never 'get a Task ID to stick' when referring the case to NBN.  (Apparently this sends the case into a loop of no action eg we would get an SMS cancellation for a technician who we had never been advised about and who in fact was never ordered - that's how it was explained to us.)

Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Landline suddenly disconnected to priority assist home (NSW) - mytelstra shows a WA address on P

On the face of it, my first impression would be to say that it sounds like someone has placed a move order against the wrong account. Gut feel would be a Telstra internal error, but (less likely) it could also be that someone has gotten hold of your account details and requested the move.

Either way, there should be a record in the database recording who within Telstra placed the change and when it occurred.

None of that helps get your service restored, but hopefully your case manager gets it rectified ASAP now that they know that something is wrong and that it needs to be restored.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Landline suddenly disconnected to priority assist home (NSW) - mytelstra shows a WA address on P

Thanks, Jupiter.  Very much appreciate you responding.

Case manager is having difficulty getting back of house to agree on what to do to get us reconnected.  Would this require NBN, do you think?  Apparently some tool that puts orders through to NBN isn't working for our account (hasn't been since 13/9) - all seems very unusual?!  NBN would be having a quiet time if this is the case Smiley Happy

We have asked for the database record to find out what happened.  Is there something I can do if someone has actually got my account details and is playing games?  I am thinking (hoping) this is less likely as you also say because usually there is a series of authentication steps required for account changes.

Many thanks

M

Ho\pe it will

A

It will definitely require NBN Co as it is their infrastructure, but as you had a connection, it should only require then to apply the codes to reinstate the service. 

The bigger problem is how Telstra is going to get them to do that if the order keeps bouncing. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit