fars
Level 1: Cadet

Lift phone line connection on NBN

Hi, our units have a lift with an emergency phone which worked before the premises were switched to FTTC NBN.

The strata group are saying we have to sign up to NBN50, but this sounds strange as the lift is only a phone line, and doesn't use "data" in the sense that it needs a data plan.

Is it correct that we need an NBN data plan for an emergency phone which would only be connecting outbound using POTS?  Is there a VOIP conversion plan or something that we should be looking at instead?

Thanks for any assistance, Far

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Lift phone line connection on NBN

If it isn't being converted to a true VOIP system, then it would only need a voice service.

Ask the strata group to see the advice that was provided by your lift maintenance contractor with regards to the emergency phone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
fars
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Lift phone line connection on NBN

The only connection it had preNBN was a voice plan (ie no ADSL)

Thanks, I found the NBN TC1/traffic class 1 connections for voice only.  I'll check into why one of them isn't being selected instead, because it shouldn't need more than that.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit