Level 1: Cadet

My elderly parents have been without a landline for six days, after a pit inspection

Since the switch of my parents' phone service to NBN, their phone connection has been very flaky, it has become common for calls to suddenly end, and call quality to be poor. On the morning of Friday 27 November 2020 while my father doing the gardening he encountered a Telstra worker who was 'inspecting the pit'. A short time later my mother realised the phone had been disconnected and my father drove around the housing estate (in Minto NSW) looking for the Telstra employee, but he was gone.

My father, using his emergency mobile with $15 pre-paid credit called Telstra for support. He was told someone would be out to fix the problem the following Monday afternoon. No one came. Purchasing more credit and getting assistance with loading this credit without any internet connection, my father called Telstra again on Tuesday. It is now the sixth day, and fourth phone call to Telstra my father has made seeking support.

My father did receive an SMS from Tesltra with a link. However his emergency big-buttoned mobile phone does not have a built-in web browser; it is a basic old-style Nokia or similar. The link from this SMS is https://fix.telstra.com/faulttracker/inc12194766. This link leads to an error page with a message button which I have sent a message through and waited for 1.5 hours for a response before giving up.

This is very distressing for my parents, they need this phone to confirm doctors appointments regularly. My dad is 80 and hearing impaired and my mother needs lots of medical help. Does anyone know of a solution to get someone in Telstra to urgenlty fix the problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: My elderly parents have been without a landline for six days, after a pit inspection

It will be NBN Co coming to perform the repairs, as it its their FTTC equipment.

You would need to send a message using the My Telstra App (or Livechat) on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen). If Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. You can mark the message as urgent by tapping on the 3 dots in the top right of the messaging screen. If you use the app, you will receive a notification through the app when someone responds. It can take a few hours to get a response.

You should look to see if your parents are eligible for Medical Priority Assist as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit