lizzie99
Level 1: Cadet

NBN - home phone connection

I am ready connect to NBN.  I have to move my telstra modem to my family room and put it behind my TV where my NBN box has been connected.  At the moment it is sitting on my desk (in another room) with my iMac desktop and cordless phone which is plugged into the socket under my desk.

So I am now told I will have to move my phone into the other room so it can be plugged into the modem ( behind the TV) which is plugged into the NBN.

How can I keep my phone on my desk? Do I get a technician to do something to my existing phone connection (under my desk) so that I can keep my phone where it is and not have to find space behind the TV.

If anyone is kind enough to answer this for me please answer as if you are talking to a 2 year old.  I do not understand any of the technical jargon terms.  

Thank you in anticipation.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN - home phone connection

The location of you phone will depend on what 'type' of phone it is - what make model is it and is it just a single, simple, corded handset or a more complicated cordless type with a base station, answering machine, multiple handsets type of thing?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
lizzie99
Level 1: Cadet

Hi

it’s a simple uniden XDectSS35 series cordless phone .. just a base ...and  people can leave a message. 

SteveW_52

If it is DECT, then the handset  (not the base) might connect wirelessly directly to the DECT Base that is built in to the Smart Modem itself - which would require some research and trial and error..  but it might just be a case a plugging your existing base unit into the phone port of the new modem - the handset is cordless so you could use it that way - maybe with a longer telephone cable to bring the base unit out from behind other equipment for access to charge etc.

Depending on how attached you are to the existing handset you have - something like the Telstra TSH-C might be an option se:  https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TSH-C-QSG.pdf   that handset would require you to use the Telstra Voicemail service though, but it isn't a huge cost. Telstra have other options available as well. If your existing phone is a bit older, it might be a nudge for you to think about a device update.

Other than that, do you know what NBN service you are getting? If it is DSL based, you may still be able to use the existing phone point you are connected to, which depends on how your house and telephone points are wired.

Lots of variables and options - so you might need to provide a bit more detail so a decent solution can be suggested?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There are two ways of solving this.

1. Employ a cabler to install an rewire the existing telephone cabling so that you have a phone socket near the TV that is connected to a phone socket near your desk and is isolated from the other telephone cabling. The modem's green phone port can then be connected to the phone socket near TV and the phone plugged into socket near the desk.

2. The other method which would be much cheaper is to use a Telstra Voice extender. The extender connects wirelessly to the DECT base in the modem and has a phone socket that can be used with a normal phone.
    How to add a voice extender to your nbn™ connectio... - Telstra CrowdSupport - 773514

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit