Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN home phone not receiving calls

NBN connected home phone has suddenly stopped receiving calls, phone line appears busy to the caller, or if messagebank is activated, all calls go there.  Been on nbn for almost 2 years so it’s not a new connection.  This has been going on for a month now, have tried rebooting router, swapping handsets and Running through the Telstra troubleshooting steps but I’ve still got a problem. Managed to get through to the call centre once in a months worth of trying and they ran line test and told me line was fine...but it can’t be when I can’t receive any calls, although outgoing calls aren’t a problem.  They put me through to the platinum team but of course nobody answered.   I’m stuck and don’t know what to do next, it’s damn frustrating when I can’t get a hold of anyone.  Anybody able to help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: NBN home phone not receiving calls

Hi - sometimes an unaccounted change in Network Programming causes hiccups. If you can make outgoing calls, I would expect you to see a green LED on the back of modem and when you open a web browser and enter the modem's Admin screens on 192.168.0.1 - can you check Telephony Icon and tab to Call Log if you have an Arcadyan Gen 2 modem, it should shown you any successful incoming and outgoing calls. If no incoming calls are shown for a while, it could indicate when the event occurred. The Technicolor version should have a similar page - just can't remember the navigation path at the moment. 

Are you enabled for Telstra Network Message Bank or do you use an answering machine? You could try to cancel any Call Diversion conditions from your phone that have somehow crept into your phone settings in the Network - see this PDF

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/support/pdf/home-phone/home-phone-user-guide-c0...

Unfortunately, if that does not work, you will have to get hold of Telstra to get them to reset the parameters in the SIP Network Feature Controller. After they do that , you will be asked to restart your modem.  Hope this helps. 

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I’ve already turned off the call diversion to message bank and that’s why now an engaged tone is audible when a caller tries to call, prior to that all calls were going to straight to message bank.  I know Telstra are the only ones that can assist but trying to get through is a problem.  I’ve spent hours on hold and only once in the many times I’ve called has anyone answered.  The most frustrating part is that after doing a few basic tests, they put me through to another department that never answered after about an hour on hold.  Arrggghhh.  I know the current crisis is the problem with the delays, I understand that, but I have no idea where to go for help.  It’s already been a month and yet I’m paying full price for part service.

Highlighted

OK - just to clarify, prior to now, when you were on the phone talking to someone or not home, any new incoming calls would be sent to Voice Message Bank because you had Call Diversion When Busy or No Answer activated (Not Immediate Setting for All Calls). Somehow, the Call Diversion was removed in the Network and anyone calling , even if you are at home and not on a call, they receive a long 'Disconnected' continuous tone rather than a 'Busy Tone' Beep Beep Beep if you were on a call - is that correct?

If it is a Disconnected tone, that has to be fixed by Telstra - as an alternative to 13 2200, have you tried the Chat Service or considered lodging a complaint on line? 

If the latter - callers are getting a Busy Tone when you are on a call, it may be possible to activate the diversion back to Voice Mail from the phone using the PDF procedures. If it fails, then that has to be solved by Telstra as well. I appreciate your frustration and hope it gets resolved soon. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/simply-chat
https://www.telstra.com.au/support/account-payment/make-a-complaint

Highlighted

Thanks again for your response. I disabled message bank when I first started troubleshooting thinking that may have been the problem, since when it was active, all calls went straight to message bank.  Now that message bank is off, whenever you try to call the number, the line is engaged, even though the phone is idle and hung up.  I’ve disconnected all phones in the house and have only one corded phone connected.  I’ve even tried swapping out the corded phone with someone else’s and that made no difference either.  I think I may just have to set aside a few hours tomorrow and try and call Telstra again, just feel I’m forever waiting on hold, so much more I could be doing with my time.  Thanks again mkrtich.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit