Fergus199
Level 1: Cadet

New phone prevents access to Internet

OK, I get new phone from Telstra shop and instantly on installation, I cannot get access to internet.  The only response I've had here, is possible problem with filter.  So where do I go from here, please?  All advice welcome.  The new phone comes supplied with filter.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Fergus199

New phone prevents access to Internet

I bought a new (Telstra) phone.  The instant I installed it I had no access to the internet (even tho the icon on puter said I was connected).  Calls to Telstra/Big Pond/Telstra resulted in the final advice to  me that my new phone is faulty and I should buy another one.  I did (from Telstra shop) a different model.  And exactly the same thing has happened!  Phone works fine, as did previous, but no access to net.  Any suggestions deeply appreciated.

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: New phone prevents access to Internet

if you're using ADSL it might be the filter that's your problem, not the phone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
jokiin

better to update your previous thread rather than starting new threads, anyway, what phone do you have, what type of service etc, new phones don't generally ever come with the filter, the filter is normally supplied with the modem, even a filter fitted incorrectly will cause your internet to drop out

more information is needed really to be able to offer any useful assistance
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

If you are using a Telstra supplied modem, generally in the box they include 2 inline filters. Have you tried using another inline filter?

Generally the icon on your computer will indicate you have a connection to the network/your modem. Depending on your operating system version, it may not indicate if you have a connection to the internet though.

I guess the most important thing to do at the moment is ensure you have all devices plugged into your line (including boxes such as Foxtel) running through an inline filter or central filter.

Unfortunately if you've tried two different phone models and the issue is the same it's likely something else in your setup that is being overlooked.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ronald
Level 3: Gumshoe

Can you provide details on whether it works the moment you unplug the new phone?

When you say you cannot access the internet, do you mean that the internet light on your modem switches off, indicating that it's lost the connection? Or, are you on your notebook and the Wi-Fi drops off?

Fergus199

I am on a desktop computer.  When I plug in the new phone, the modem remains happy and the puter icon indicates (as usual) connected 100Mbps.  Yet, no access to internet and no use of email (of course).  When I unplug the new phone and plug in the old one, access is restored instantly.

Fergus199

The new phone is a Telstra Easy View 3450 Twin DECT cordless phone.  Telstra provides my telephone service and BigPond is my ISP.  I have a desktop computer.

I think you're on to something with the filter.  Will buy a new one on Monday and try that.  Telstra homefault helpline told me to take new phone back to Telstra shop and consult them.  I did that today, and they said "You need a Telstra technician to visit your home - ring the home fault line again and explain."  I did, and apparently this just ain't gonna happen, so I am very much relying on you guys.  Thank you so much.

Parash
Level 8: Inspector

Does the filter look like this?

http://www.warcom.com.au/adsl-filter-splitter/2270_acs-901e2-adsl-2-inline-filtersplitter?utm_medium...

Don't for a moment think I am plugging certain products, merely illustration.

-- Parash
Opinions expressed are mine alone.
Parash
Level 8: Inspector

You might like to check (and I apologise if stating the obvious), that the wall socket telephone lead goes to the filter/splitter port marked 'Line', and that the telephone handset is connected to the port marked 'Fax/Tel' and that the Modem is connected to the port marked 'ADSL'

-- Parash
Opinions expressed are mine alone.
ronald
Level 3: Gumshoe

I assume this also means that the internet light on the modem turns off?

It may be that your new home phone is faulty and sending noise (unwanted signals) down your telephone line which is disrupting the ADSL signal; this matches the symptoms you describe.

Yes, double check that you have put in the filters the correct way (it may also be that the filter is faulty).

To determine whether the phone is faulty or the new filter is faulty, just try using the new filter with your old phone (the old phone so the internet works) if this disrupts your internet, then the culprit is the new filter. You can use your old filter with the new phone and everything should be ok. Vice versa, test your new phone with the old filter and then see what happens.

Hopefully this should help you diagnose the cause of the problem.

Mumo3

I have exactly the same problem. Two new phones - no access to Internet. It's doing my head in - just want to plug a new phone in and off we go! This last phone is a telstra one. What do you mean by changing/checking filters? Seriously it shouldn't be this hard!
jokiin

@Mumo3 wrote:
I have exactly the same problem. Two new phones - no access to Internet. It's doing my head in - just want to plug a new phone in and off we go! This last phone is a telstra one. What do you mean by changing/checking filters? Seriously it shouldn't be this hard!

If you have ADSL the filter is necessary to keep your internet working without interference from other devices, a faulty filter, the wrong type of filter (ADSL2 needs a different specification filter to ADSL1), or incorrectly configured filter will cause this problem

any other device you have on the line (except for the ADSL modem) must be filtered, phone, fax, alarm, foxtel etc

Mumo3

Ok - I have bought a telstra 9350 - with three handsets. What type of DSL filter do I get, where from, does the filter go on every phone line? Anyone help?

jokiin

@Mumo3 wrote:

Ok - I have bought a telstra 9350 - with three handsets. What type of DSL filter do I get, where from, does the filter go on every phone line? Anyone help?

I'm not familiar with the model, if it's a multi handset cordless then just the base station has to be filtered, any device other than the modem that is plugged into a phone line must be connected through an appropriate filter, there are also practical limits to how many devices and filters you can run on one line as well before you start running into problems

Gareth
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

A filter is used to "filter" out the ADSL frequencies on the part of the line that your handset is connected to, so you can have a normal voice conversation.

It's important that you don't filter the line between the modem and and the wall socket. If you do then you will lose connectivity.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/filtern.jpg
See the image above of our current filter.

If you have the filter setup correctly (i.e. are not filtering the modem incorrectly) then best to call 13 POND as it might require remediation around line sync / authentication lockdown, modem etc (the list is long and they have the tools on screen to solve for in an orderly fashion).

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit