Level 2: Rookie

No dial tone yet ph rings but I can't hear the caller.

Answered

I have had intermittent problems with my landline phone line for over 3 weeks.  It started when work was being done outside my home in the exchange/pit  we have on the naturestrip only 100 ft away from my door.   The road was also dug up in two places and I was told it was work for the NBN.  Note I have cable tv and cable internet wi fi bigpond connection.  At the time my landline  starting playing up my wi fi was also dropping in and and  out and as it was fairly new, I knew it couldn't be time to replace the wi fi again.  The Wifi  has since resolved itself and is not part of this landline service fault I currently have.  I have tried 3 different phones, 2 of them brand new and checked the wall plug, phone connections changed batteries on one phone which was a cordless all to no avail. Note the wall plug is behind a heavy piece of furniture so no one can get to it without physically moving stuff out of the way,   The 132203 service person said the line tested inconsistant when I made the first call.  She said she  would report it  to a technician to do a line check.  I asked that the tech email me to communicate because the phone line was not trustworthy.  I  do not have a mobile and as I am ill and have mobility problems cannot go to a phone box or my neighbors to call them.  Note I have done everything to ensure the connections inside my unit are fine.  At the time I spoke to her I was having a lot of interference on the line making it hard to hear the other person talk and she heard it as well.  The ph didn't drop out  during the service chat , she hung up and said she would call me back.  When she called back she said the line test was inconsistant and said she would get a tech to look at it and test it again and then would follow me up with a call the following day.  That was the last time I spoke to her or anyone from telstra.    The next day the phone rang and as I couldn't get to it fast enough it went to 101 message bank.  I received an email message from the tech a few mins later  saying the line tested fine and to email if there was still a problem or they would assume the service was fixed and I no longer needed help. I emailed them back saying the phone was worse.  That people could call but when I picked up the phone it was silent.  There was no one there. Sometimes it would clear and I would have dial tone, other times I had loud static and other times nothing.. no dial tone and no noise.  The next day the line rang and again it went to message bank.  I had a clear line and dial tone and rang 101 message bank and found It was the  lady I spoke to first and she asked me to call back.  I hung up and tried to call her back and once again no dial tone.  I have not had any dial tone for over a week.  Yet the phone still rings.  I received another email from the tech and realised it was just a robot email as it was word for word what the first email said.  Again emailed him back and the only email I have had since is that the case is closed because they deem the problem resolved.  Family have tried to get service for me only to be told I have to report the fault.  My only form  of commincation is via email.  I also did the online isolation test that stated my line was okay.  I believe it will always come up okay in the tests because the phone rings when people call.  I just can't talk to them.   I stuck with Telstra because Optus only had cable infrustructure so if there was a power blackout I could still access a phone line with a spare corded phone I kept.  That will become moot when the NBN comes thru and they will loose me for good. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: No dial tone yet ph rings but I can't hear the caller.

My pleasure, Anne. Smiley Happy

I hope you find a resolution through your complaint submission.

Thank you indeed for the  , you accidentally sent the whole box. Smiley LOL

Take good care and I wish you all the very best!

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, Annepavlidis31,

I've got a headache from reading all that. Smiley LOL

Your phone rings but you can't hear the caller? Count your blessings! Smiley Very Happy I'd swap phone lines with you any day as 98% of the time I wish I couldn't hear the caller. Smiley LOL

On a serious note, I'd say there is definitely a line fault and seeing that not much is done to diagnose and rectify it, I'd suggest submitting an online complaint by using the THIS form.

I hope the issue is resolved soon.

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.

Thank you Tezz.

I have taken your advice and submitted the complaint.  

Sorry for the headache but I found if I don't paint the entire picture people assume things and also that I haven't done everything possible to find if there is a fault from my end and I know I have.  Smiley Happy

Sending smiles and a panadol for your help.  Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

My pleasure, Anne. Smiley Happy

I hope you find a resolution through your complaint submission.

Thank you indeed for the  , you accidentally sent the whole box. Smiley LOL

Take good care and I wish you all the very best!

Kind regards,

View solution in original post

FINALLY I had the phone fixed.  And yes, there was a problem with the line so I feel vindicated.  Thanks again for your help Tez

That's great news, Anne. My pleasure and I'm glad it's all sorted. 👍

Kind regards,

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit