Level 1: Cadet

Notification of no service on home phone

Answered

Telstra,

My 91 year old mother, who is living alone independently, has no internet and only uses a mobile when travelling, relies on her home phone for family and friends to call and check on her / provide company.

Telstra cut off her service and to many others in the suburb, on the weekend ... NO NOTIFICATION, No offer to ensure that she had alternate communication to call emergency services, and NO "Out-of-order" tone for those calling her.  It will not now be fixed until 5 Oct 2020.  She had no idea that those trying to call were very worried that she could not get to the phone and answer calls.

It is only because I work in the industry does she now carry her mobile (fully charged and pre-paid) and arranged for calls to be diverted to it.  How many old people, or people living on the own, in her suburb alone (postcode 2011) do not know they don't have service or their loved ones totally unaware that it is the phone that is dead and not the person???

Really Telstra? - almost criminal neglect!!!  If one of those affected customers is lying by the phone waiting for a dial tone - I don't think they will survive a week!

One for the ombudsman? 

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Notification of no service on home phone

Nope. Not a Telstra employee.

The extent of the obligation of Telstra is to ensure that the notification to the customer is made (NBN Co does the same thing). They cannot forcibly migrate somebody to the NBN due to the way the regulations were drawn up by the Government. It would have been better as an opt-out system (ie. you actually have to say that you want your services cancelled otherwise you were migrated).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

Al the old non-NBN services have reached the switch off stage in that area and all the residents should have been receiving notices about it since this time last year.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

Sounds like a Telstra employee making excuses. 
Yes NBN is in the area, but as a multi-dwelling unit the Telstra service should NOT be switched off before confirming all services have been migrated. 
I have confirmed with Telstra and NBN that my mother is still not registered as having NBN access. 
So my concern remains - how can Telstra justify the lack of care for those that rely on a fixed phone.?

Accepted Solution

Nope. Not a Telstra employee.

The extent of the obligation of Telstra is to ensure that the notification to the customer is made (NBN Co does the same thing). They cannot forcibly migrate somebody to the NBN due to the way the regulations were drawn up by the Government. It would have been better as an opt-out system (ie. you actually have to say that you want your services cancelled otherwise you were migrated).

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team

Jupiter doesn't work for us but they sure do a great job of helping out on this forum. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 2: Rookie

technically you can sue Telstra for cutting the service without notification and as part of the law regarding vulnerable people: pensioner's, people on disability support. they CAN NOT cut of a phone service to those people. my suggestion is get a layer and sue you should get around $100,000 in composition if the layer is good enough.

steven burbidge

No. Vulnerable people still have to make a migration request, they can still be cut off under the NBN regulations.

But you can go to the TIO and they can get Telstra to move very quickly if the code has been breached (which would revolve around the notification or the cutoff date of non-NBN services - which is done by both NBN Co and the carriers).

The first question that a lawyer should ask is "Have you been to the Ombudsman?". If not, get a new lawyer as a court will generally not deal with a lawsuit unless the prescribed remedies under the regulations have at least been attempted.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit