Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Number porting

We have transferred from TPG to Telstra.... BIG MISTAKE!!

They told us that transferring our old number to the new Telstra account wouldn't be a problem, "We do that all the time" he said. The salesman at the the shop did a check on his computer and categorically assured us that our number can be ported without issue, because we are not moving to a new address and in any case TPG and Telstra use the same exchange and DSLAM.

So we transferred to Telstra and instead of keeping our old number they issued a new number!

So, after hours on the phone with a Phillipino who we couldn't understand, we were told that our old number can't be ported from TPG because they are on different exchanges. The number we wanted ported from TPG was a VOIP number (6261xxxx) and according to an IT professional friend of ours, VOIP numbers can be ported to any telco provider.

We are fed up with Telstra and now going to Optus. By the way, Vodafone and Telstra are now joint together, so going to Vodafone means simply that you'll get the same crappy overseas call centers and the same bad support. Telstra salesmen are trained to tell you anything you want to hear, they lie, just to get your business. And they get way with it because people don't bother complaining.

Telstra.... you have lost yet another customer!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Number porting

Hi @John0456,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about your experience, this is not what we want for our customers at all.

If you are looking at raising a complaint, you can do so here. Once you've done that, a case manager will be assigned and in contact to investigate this further within 3-5 business days.

Please let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Telstra and Vodafone are definitely positively not connected in any way.
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Yes, it was TPG and Vodafone that were trying to merge (and got blocked by the ACCC a couple of days ago).

And while it is true that in most cases a VOIP number can be transferred, if TPG allocated you a number that isn't from the same geographical region as the exchange (I'll assume New Norfolk as in Canberra 6261 numbers are mostly Aus Gov numbers), then the port would fail as Telstra needs to assign on that is associated with the exchange area.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit